Class Methods

Adelle Hartley

Hi all,

I have a routine that creates classes based on data retrieved from a
database.

It goes something like this:

unless Object.const_defined?(class_name)
Object.const_set(class_name, Class.new(MyBaseClass) do

# define a method, that will apply to all
# generated classes.
def foo() 'foo' end

end)
end
end

Is there a way of making foo a class method without resorting to eval?

Adelle.

Florian Gross

Adelle said:
I have a routine that creates classes based on data retrieved from a
database.

It goes something like this:

unless Object.const_defined?(class_name)
Object.const_set(class_name, Class.new(MyBaseClass) do

# define a method, that will apply to all
# generated classes.
def foo() 'foo' end

end)
end
end

Is there a way of making foo a class method without resorting to eval?

def self.foo() 'foo' end