"Class not found"

Hackman

I'm getting the dreaded "class not found" error. I've Googled this
error and found that it's quite common, but not in exactly the way I
get it. My applets run fine on my machine, both when tested locally
via a local HTML file, and also when going to website, but gives the
"Class not found" error other machines. Anyone have any idea what
might be wrong?

(I went to my website on a firend's computer, and it didn't work.
At first I thought there was a problem with the setup that didn't
allow the computer to run applets properly, but I went to a site
I knew used applets, and their applets ran fine).

I suspect it may be a codebase error, but I've tried the following in
my HTML file without success:

<APPLET CODE="moonCalendar.class"
name = "moonCalendar" WIDTH=1000 HEIGHT=350>

<APPLET CODE="moonCalendar.class" codebase="."
name = "moonCalendar" WIDTH=1000 HEIGHT=350>

<APPLET CODE="moonCalendar.class"
codebase="http://www.ckolchak.com"
name = "moonCalendar" WIDTH=1000 HEIGHT=350>

You can see if it works on your machine by going to:

http://www.ckolchak.com/astroCalendar.htm

Dag Sunde

Hackman said:
[...]

I see 3 applets loading without any problems...

Jax

But I am unable to view any Applets !
And even I have been greeted with the same error.
Anyone, any clue ?

Dag Sunde

Jax said:
But I am unable to view any Applets !
And even I have been greeted with the same error.
Anyone, any clue ?

What does the java console tell you?
What Plugin version?

Hackman

Andrew said:
That would be what you see if running the MSVM in IE.
If IE is running the Java 1.5, the applets appear just fine.

Andrew T.

So how would I get them to run on the MSVM?

Andrew T.

Hackman said:
So how would I get them to run on the MSVM?

Uh-Oh.. Your browser is equipped with an obsolete, non-compliant
JRE that has (at least one) security hole which will *never* be
patched.

Your best bet is to upgrade immediately to the Java Plug-In*,
and encourage any users who are unfortunate enough to be
in a similar position, to do the same.

* That is possible using the nested OBJECT/EMBED applet call.

Andrew T.

Hackman

Andrew said:
That would be what you see if running the MSVM in IE.
If IE is running the Java 1.5, the applets appear just fine.

Andrew T.

But the friend's computer that wouldn't show my applets ran applets
on another site just fine.

Andrew T.

Hackman said:
But the friend's computer that wouldn't show my applets ran applets
on another site just fine.

My guess is that the friend's computer has a JVM that is suitable
for the 'applets on another site' (which may only need 1.3), while
this applet requires something beyond that (e.g. 1.4).

* What is the/a URL of the applet on another site?
I can check if it runs in the MSVM.

( BTW - embedding applets in a web page so the user
'sees them OK' is /not/ a simple matter. ..In case you
were beginning to wonder. )

Andrew T.

Andrew T.

Hackman said:

That applet appears OK in the MSVM.

It *should* also run just fine on your IE with MSVM.
If it doesn't - there is something very wrong with your IE.

Does that applet run OK in your IE?

...but we are getting away from the point here.
We have already established that your applet requires
something beyond the MSVM. I am not entirely clear -
did you write this applet? Do you have access to the
souce code?

To launch this applet successfully across a wide range
of browsers you will either need to convert it back to 1.1
(tricky, at the best of times, impossible others) or determine
the minimum requiremment for Java and ensure the end
user has it installed (using OBJECT/EMBED).

Andrew T.