Class variables, instance variables, singleton; Ruby v. C++

Ralph Shnelvar

Newb here coming from C++

Ok, I _think_ I know what a class variable is. It is similar to a
static variable in a class in C++. Rght?

An instance variable is apart of an instantiated class, right?

What's a singleton? I don't think it's the same as as singleton in
C++ parlance.

- - -

If Class X wants to access a class variable and/or constant in Class Y, must a class
method be defined or is there a direct way to do it?

Besides the Pickaxe book, can anyone recommend a document that
describes this a bit more clearly?

- - -

So I did a search for "ruby for c++ programmers." on Google and came
up with exactly one article
(http://californickation.blogspot.com/2008/02/first-look-at-ruby.html)
... one that says "Another funny fact is that searching for "Ruby for
Java programmers" retrieves a few articles right on the first page while "Ruby for C++ programmers" does not."

Anyone know of any articles?

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Ralph said:
Newb here coming from C++

Ok, I _think_ I know what a class variable is. It is similar to a
static variable in a class in C++. Rght?
Yes.

An instance variable is apart of an instantiated class, right?

Not an "instantiated class", but a class instance -- which pretty much
describes everything in Ruby, since everything is an object.
What's a singleton? I don't think it's the same as as singleton in
C++ parlance.

But you are wrong.
- - -

If Class X wants to access a class variable and/or constant in Class Y,
must a class
method be defined

For variables, yes. Constants are directly accessible. Remember, Ruby
has no such thing as public data members in C++.
or is there a direct way to do it?

Only for constants (you know, the Class::CONSTANT syntax).
Besides the Pickaxe book, can anyone recommend a document that
describes this a bit more clearly?

The Pickaxe book explains all this *very* clearly.
- - -

So I did a search for "ruby for c++ programmers." on Google and came
up with exactly one article
(http://californickation.blogspot.com/2008/02/first-look-at-ruby.html)
... one that says "Another funny fact is that searching for "Ruby for
Java programmers" retrieves a few articles right on the first page while
"Ruby for C++ programmers" does not."

Anyone know of any articles?

Do you really need something like that? And if you do, won't the Java
articles suffice?

Best,

David Masover

Newb here coming from C++

Ok, I _think_ I know what a class variable is. It is similar to a
static variable in a class in C++. Rght?

Yes.

A quick warning, though: Class variables behave weirdly with inheritance.
Avoid them. Since all Ruby classes are themselves objects, it makes more sense
to define an instance variable of the class.

That is, instead of doing this:

class Foo
def bar
@@some_count += 1
end
end

Do this:

class Foo
def self.increment_count
@some_count += 1
end
def bar
self.class.increment_count
end
end

If you understand how that works, you should be able to understand this
example, which is how I'd actually do it:

class Foo
class << self
attr_accessor :some_count
end
def bar
self.class.some_count += 1
end
end

I'm sure there's a library somewhere that deals with these more easily.
An instance variable is apart of an instantiated class, right?

What's a singleton? I don't think it's the same as as singleton in
C++ parlance.

It probably is, but you never know...

There is actually a Singleton module in the standard library. The idea is to
prevent you from creating more than one instance of a given class.

There's also the idea of singleton methods -- for example, you can take two
objects of a given class, and define a method on one of them, without making a
new class. Try this in irb:

a = 'foo'
b = 'bar'
def a.speak
puts self
end
a.class == b.class
a.speak
b.speak

This is, by the way, why we don't tend to care what class an object is, but
rather, how it behaves -- because in Ruby, duck typing is the only kind of
typing that makes sense, since you really can't know how an object will behave
just by looking at its class.
If Class X wants to access a class variable and/or constant in Class Y,
must a class method be defined or is there a direct way to do it?

Marnen is mostly right. There actually is a way -- class_variable_get -- but
that's cumbersome, and you shouldn't use it unless you know what you're doing.

And again, if you're already going to define a class variable, you might
consider using an instance variable on the class.

Ralph Shnelvar

DM> Yes.

DM> A quick warning, though: Class variables behave weirdly with inheritance.
DM> Avoid them. Since all Ruby classes are themselves objects, it makes more sense
DM> to define an instance variable of the class.

DM> That is, instead of doing this:

DM> class Foo
DM> def bar
DM> @@some_count += 1
DM> end
DM> end

DM> Do this:

DM> class Foo
DM> def self.increment_count
DM> @some_count += 1
DM> end
DM> def bar
DM> self.class.increment_count
DM> end
DM> end

DM> If you understand how that works, you should be able to understand this
DM> example, which is how I'd actually do it:

I am clueless what all of the above does. It is WAY over my head.

I have read that section on how self is set in the Pickaxe book a
dozen times ... and I'm still lost.

How would I go about deciphering the meaning of what you wrote, above?

DM> class Foo
DM> class << self
DM> attr_accessor :some_count
DM> end
DM> def bar
DM> self.class.some_count += 1
DM> end
DM> end

And this is even more obscure to me.

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
[...]
I am clueless what all of the above does. It is WAY over my head.

I have read that section on how self is set in the Pickaxe book a
dozen times ... and I'm still lost.

Then read it 13 times, or find supplementary material on the Web.
You've got to understand this stuff if you want to do nontrivial stuff
in Ruby.
How would I go about deciphering the meaning of what you wrote, above?

The same way you'd decipher anything else. Read it. Understand every
word and symbol. What you don't understand, look up. Ask questions
only after you've made a bona fide serious attempt to figure it out
yourself.

Best,

Steve Wilhelm

Ralph said:
Newb here coming from C++

Ok, I _think_ I know what a class variable is. It is similar to a
static variable in a class in C++. Rght?

An instance variable is apart of an instantiated class, right?

What's a singleton? I don't think it's the same as as singleton in
C++ parlance.

- - -

If Class X wants to access a class variable and/or constant in Class Y,
must a class
method be defined or is there a direct way to do it?

Besides the Pickaxe book, can anyone recommend a document that
describes this a bit more clearly?

'The Ruby Programming Language' by Flanagan and Matsumoto describes the
differences between class variables and class instances variables. Don't
know if it will be any clearer than 'Programming Ruby' by Thomas,
Fowler, and Hunt.

David Masover

I am clueless what all of the above does. It is WAY over my head.

I don't really know what to say, then, other than:

What is it you don't get?

I don't mean to be cruel, but there isn't a technical question in here -- not
really something that I can answer. Instead, all you have is this:
How would I go about deciphering the meaning of what you wrote, above?

Ask me, or ask the group. But ask something specific.

For example: Is it that you don't understand what I'm doing with 'def
self.whatever'? Or is it that you don't understand what self.class is? Or are
the words "Foo" and "bar" confusing? Maybe it was += that threw you off?

I could go through and attempt to explain every detail of how it works, and I
could probably do a good job, but it'd be a lot of effort on my part (better
spent writing a "how to program" book), and you'd probably find it pretty
condescending.

Also: Open up irb and mess around. See what happens. For example, type this
into your irb shell:

class Foo
self
end

What does that return? Did you learn anything?

In other words: One very good way to learn is through experimentation. Run the
examples I've given and see what they do. Run them in a debugger, or sprinkle
a few 'puts' statements to see what's going on. Run them in irb, and play with
different versions of them.

David A. Black

Hi --

'The Ruby Programming Language' by Flanagan and Matsumoto describes the
differences between class variables and class instances variables. Don't
know if it will be any clearer than 'Programming Ruby' by Thomas,
Fowler, and Hunt.

And of course this is one of the (many) problems with class variables:
they make obscure the otherwise rather simple notion that classes can
have instance variables because classes are objects and any object can
have instance variables.

David

Ralph Shnelvar

DM> I don't really know what to say, then, other than:

DM> What is it you don't get?

DM> I don't mean to be cruel, but there isn't a technical question in here -- not
DM> really something that I can answer. Instead, all you have is this:

DM> Ask me, or ask the group. But ask something specific.

It is the gestalt ... the world-view ... that I am not getting. It is
not the specifics that are the difficulty.

DM> For example: Is it that you don't understand what I'm doing with 'def
DM> self.whatever'? Or is it that you don't understand what self.class is? Or are
DM> the words "Foo" and "bar" confusing? Maybe it was += that threw you off?

DM> I could go through and attempt to explain every detail of how it works, and I
DM> could probably do a good job, but it'd be a lot of effort on my part (better
DM> spent writing a "how to program" book), and you'd probably find it pretty
DM> condescending.

DM> Also: Open up irb and mess around. See what happens. For example, type this
DM> into your irb shell:

DM> class Foo
DM> self
DM> end

DM> What does that return? Did you learn anything?

DM> In other words: One very good way to learn is through experimentation. Run the
DM> examples I've given and see what they do. Run them in a debugger, or sprinkle
DM> a few 'puts' statements to see what's going on. Run them in irb, and play with
DM> different versions of them.

David, I thank you for trying to help.

There is a gestalt here that I am missing.

As the original poster, I said I'm coming from a C++ environment. I'm
actually pretty good there. Well, more than pretty good.

I've had SNOBOL, SPITBOL, and APL (several years) experience. I'm familiar with
interpreted code.

So ... there's something at a high level that is going on in your code that I'm unable to wrap
my head around.

Ralph Shnelvar

DAB> And of course this is one of the (many) problems with class variables:
DAB> they make obscure the otherwise rather simple notion that classes can
DAB> have instance variables because classes are objects and any object can
DAB> have instance variables.

David ... this may be the higher-level gestalt that I was missing. It
sure sounds like it.

Let me flesh out my questions/comments about this paragraph so that you and
others have something specific to answer. Let's call the classed F &
G.

(1) OK, classes are (i) objects; (ii) are executable code.

(2) If I do the following
class F
end
f = F.new
F.class # class
f.class # F
this makes sense to me.

What (relevant and important conceptually) messages (other than "new")
can I send to a class? But see (3), below.

(3)
class F
def sub1
@@x = 1
end
end

class G
self.sub1
@@x=2
end
end

# Why? Didn't the interpreter "see" @@x in class F?
F.class_variables # []

# makes sense
G.class_variables # ["@@x"]

f = F.new

# Why? Shouldn't the method inherit from the class?
f.class_variables # undefined method

f.sub1 # 1

# makes sense. class variable now explicitly executed
F.class_variables # ["@@x"]

# How to use class_variable_get if the method is private???
F.class_variable_get:)@@x) # error private method!

OK, that should do it for now.

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
[...]
Let me flesh out my questions/comments about this paragraph so that you
and
others have something specific to answer. Let's call the classed F &
G.

(1) OK, classes are (i) objects;
Right.

(ii) are executable code.

Wrong. Class *definitions* are executable code.
(2) If I do the following
class F
end
f = F.new
F.class # class
f.class # F
this makes sense to me.

What (relevant and important conceptually) messages (other than "new")
can I send to a class?

See the documentation for class Class.
But see (3), below.

(3)
class F
def sub1
@@x = 1
end
end

class G
self.sub1
@@x=2
end
end

# Why? Didn't the interpreter "see" @@x in class F?
F.class_variables # []

Probably not, since you haven't called the function yet!
# makes sense
G.class_variables # ["@@x"]

I'm actually rather surprised by this.
f = F.new

# Why? Shouldn't the method inherit from the class?
f.class_variables # undefined method

No! class_variables is a class method of F. Instances do not get
access to their class' class methods, because they don't inherit from
the Class object in the conventional sense. The Class object is a
little bit like a JavaScript prototype, if that helps.

If it doesn't...well, I don't know what to say. If you're really as
good a C++ programmer as you claim to be, then you should be having no
trouble at all with the difference between class and instance methods.
f.sub1 # 1

# makes sense. class variable now explicitly executed
F.class_variables # ["@@x"]

# How to use class_variable_get if the method is private???
F.class_variable_get:)@@x) # error private method!

Just don't. You're not meant to be getting at class variables from
outside the class. Use an accessor function if you need it.

(There is a way to call private methods from outside, but I will leave
you to find it out on your own. It's not generally a good thing, and
I'm not going to hand you a dangerous tool until you understand when not
to use it.)
OK, that should do it for now.

Best,

Ralph Shnelvar

(2) If I do the following
MLK> See the documentation for class Class.
But see (3), below.

(3)
class F
def sub1
@@x = 1
end
end

class G
self.sub1
@@x=2
end
end

# Why? Didn't the interpreter "see" @@x in class F?
F.class_variables # []

MLK> Probably not, since you haven't called the function yet!

Didn't the interpreter parse it?

If I do
class X
def y
xyzzy = 3++
end
end

then the interpreter/parser will complain immediately that there was a
syntax error even though the function method y was not executed.
# makes sense
G.class_variables # ["@@x"]

MLK> I'm actually rather surprised by this.

I made a mistake. I apologize.
class G
def self.sub1
@@x=2
end
end

G.class_variables # []

(I must have run the function accidentally. Sorry.)

MLK> No! class_variables is a class method of F. Instances do not get
MLK> access to their class' class methods, because they don't inherit from
MLK> the Class object in the conventional sense. The Class object is a
MLK> little bit like a JavaScript prototype, if that helps.

MLK> If it doesn't...well, I don't know what to say. If you're really as
MLK> good a C++ programmer as you claim to be, then you should be having no
MLK> trouble at all with the difference between class and instance methods.

In C++, instances have access to the static variables and functions of
the class.

They don't inherit it ... but merely have access to it as if they
inherited it.
f.sub1 # 1

# makes sense. class variable now explicitly executed
F.class_variables # ["@@x"]

# How to use class_variable_get if the method is private???
F.class_variable_get:)@@x) # error private method!

MLK> Just don't. You're not meant to be getting at class variables from
MLK> outside the class. Use an accessor function if you need it.

MLK> (There is a way to call private methods from outside, but I will leave
MLK> you to find it out on your own. It's not generally a good thing, and
MLK> I'm not going to hand you a dangerous tool until you understand when not
MLK> to use it.)

So ... when _can_ I use class_variable_get ???

Rick DeNatale

DAB> And of course this is one of the (many) problems with class variable= s:
DAB> they make obscure the otherwise rather simple notion that classes ca= n
DAB> have instance variables because classes are objects and any object c= an
DAB> have instance variables.

David ... this may be the higher-level gestalt that I was missing. =A0It
sure sounds like it.

Let me flesh out my questions/comments about this paragraph so that you a= nd
others have something specific to answer. =A0Let's call the classed =A0F = &
G.

(1) OK, classes are (i) objects; (ii) are executable code.

I wouldn't say that classes are executable code. However the
difference between Ruby and C++ here is that in C++ a class is really
just a C Struct definition with new features like virtual member
functions and inheritance. It's a static compile time construct.

In Ruby on the other hand, classes are defined at run time as code is
executed, and the stuff inside a class definition is executable code.

Another related difference is that in C++ the class describes which
instance variables are present in every instance of that class by
virtue of the instance variables (members) being statically declared.

In Ruby an object gets instance variables one by one only when it
executes a method which sets the instance variable. Since classes are
objects this applies to classes as well.

A primary purpose of a class is to collect method implementations
which will be part of the repertoire of instances of that class.

So for example

class A
# At this point the class has no class instance variables
@class_instance_variable1 =3D 42 # This statement is executed when
the class def is, so
# after this A
has a class instance variable

# The following defines a method which will be in the repertoire
of instances of A or any
# of its subclasses
def some_method
@instance_var =3D "Hello"
end

# The self. makes the following a method of the class A. We
call this a class method
# it will also be in the repertoire of any class objects which
subclass A (but not their instances)
def self.a_class_method
@class_instance_variable2 =3D [1, 2, 3]
end
end

a =3D A.new
# At this point of execution:
#
# The class A has ONE class instance variable @class_instance_variable1
#
# a, which is an instance of A, has NO instance variables

a.some_method

# And now a has an instance variable named @instance_var

A.a_class_method
# And now A has another class instance variable @class_instance_variable2

(2) If I do the following
=A0 =A0 =A0class F
=A0 =A0 =A0end
=A0 =A0 =A0f =3D F.new
=A0 =A0 =A0F.class =A0# class
=A0 =A0 =A0f.class =A0# F
this makes sense to me.

What (relevant and important conceptually) messages (other than "new")
can I send to a class? =A0But see (3), below.

Well like any object the answer to that depends on the class. All
classes are instances of Class, which defines three methods, only two
of which are normally called by user code.

Class#allocate which actually allocates the storage for a new
instance, this is rarely if ever overriden or called directly
Class#new which calls allocate to get a new instance and then calls
intialialize on the new instance passing any arguments along. This is
called often but rarely overridden.
Class#superclass which returns the superclass of the class, again
called but almost never overridden.

In addition Class is a subclass of Module, and inherits from module
the ability to collect methods and to serve as a nested namespace. So
every class object has the instance methods defined in Module as part
of its repertoire, I'll leave you to look these up.

And of course the instance methods defined in Object and the module
Kernel (which is included by Object) are part of the repertoire of
very Object and therefore every object which happens to be a class.

Some Ruby standard library classes like Array, Dir, File and others
define additional class methods specific to the class and its
subclasses.

(3)
=A0 =A0class F
=A0 =A0 =A0def sub1
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0@@x =3D 1
=A0 =A0 =A0end
=A0 =A0end

=A0 =A0class G
=A0 =A0 =A0self.sub1
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0@@x=3D2
=A0 =A0 =A0end
=A0 =A0end

=A0 =A0# Why? =A0Didn't the interpreter "see" @@x in class F?
=A0 =A0F.class_variables =A0# []

See my explanation above. In this regard class variables like
instance variables

F doesn't have any class variables because the sub1 method hasn't been exec=
uted.

G does because you execute sub1 inside its class definition code. I
assume that you actually defined G as a subclass of F or you would
have gotten an undefined sub1 method error.

And you have invalid syntax in that snippet because there's an extra end

class G
self.sub1
@@x =3D 2
end # this ends the class def which consists of two
end
=A0 =A0# makes sense
=A0 =A0G.class_variables =A0# ["@@x"]

=A0 =A0f =3D F.new

=A0 =A0# Why? =A0Shouldn't the method inherit from the class?
=A0 =A0f.class_variables =A0# undefined method

Because f is an instance of F, and is not a class, class_variables is
a method defined in Module, not Object or kernel
=A0 =A0f.sub1 =A0# 1

=A0 =A0# makes sense. =A0class variable now explicitly executed
=A0 =A0F.class_variables # ["@@x"]

=A0 =A0# How to use class_variable_get if the method is private???
=A0 =A0F.class_variable_get:)@@x) =A0# error private method!

F.send:)class_variable_get, :mad:@x)

As others have pointed out class variables are a pretty wonky area of
Ruby. In Ruby 1.8 if G is a actually a subclass of F, then whether or
not @@x is the same instance variable for both depends in some cases
on whether or not F got its instance variable before G did or not.

When a class variable is initialized Ruby 1.8 looks through the chain
of superclasses to see if a class variable with that name already
exists, and if so uses that definition. If not it defines it for the
current class. Ruby 1.9 changed that so that now class variables are
no longer shared with subclasses.

Now it may seem hard or harsh, but I'd recommend that you try to
forget what you know about C++ when learning Ruby.

Although C++ and Ruby are both said to be object-oriented, they come
from two very different views of what that means. C++ is the epitome
of what Ralph Johnson calls the "Software Engineering" school, where
objects are seen as an extension of abstract data types. Ruby is of
what he calls the "Mystical" school where objects are seen as entities
which encapsulate both the data representation and the methods which
operate on the data, and which interact with other objects only by
message invocation of methods, looked up by name at runtime. Java is
influenced by the SE school, but is more dynamic in other regards.
Other mystical languages include Smalltalk, Self, and JavaScript
although JavaScript is not fundamentally OO.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

David Masover

But see (3), below.

(3)
class F
def sub1
@@x = 1
end
end

class G
self.sub1
@@x=2
end
end

# Why? Didn't the interpreter "see" @@x in class F?
F.class_variables # []

MLK> Probably not, since you haven't called the function yet!

Didn't the interpreter parse it?

If I do
class X
def y
xyzzy = 3++
end
end

then the interpreter/parser will complain immediately that there was a
syntax error even though the function method y was not executed.

Yes, syntax errors are caught immediately by parsing. But think of instance
variables as a hash associated with the object and it might be more clear. For
example, if you did this:

SomeHash = {}
def foo
SomeHash[:x] = :y
end

Would you expect SomeHash[:x] to exist just because you defined that method?

Now, I don't know whether instance variables are _actually_ implemented as a
hash. It might well be something much more efficient, but it behaves like a
hash, so that makes sense.

Also, consider: The method in question may _never_ be called. Why should Ruby
bother to create a variable that may never be used? That would be just as
foolish as implying that SomeHash[:x] exists before foo is called in my
example above. Sure, you could create it and set it to nil, but that'd be
pointless.
In C++, instances have access to the static variables and functions of
the class.

They don't inherit it ... but merely have access to it as if they
inherited it.

Instances indeed get access to class variables associated with that instance,
but again, class variables behave weirdly. But here's a quick example to help
clarify things:

SomeClass.new

Would you expect an object created that way to have a 'new' method of its own?
That is, would this make any sense:

SomeClass.new.new

Similarly, do the methods available at class creation time make any sense in
an object? For example, when creating a class:

class Foo
attr_accessor :bar
end

You might think attr_accessor is a keyword. It isn't, it's just a method on
Class, so it's a class method on Foo.

There is no proper analog to "static functions" in C++, by the way -- they're
just methods on the class. But again, they aren't included into the instance
-- you access them on the class, just like you would with any other object.

So let me return to some simple examples that I hope make sense. Let's create
a counter for the number of instances that have been created.

class Foo
def self.count
@count
end
def self.increment_count
@count ||= 0
@count += 1
end
end

This should be easy to understand. (If it's not, pretend I defined them
without self, and see if they make sense.)

Now, go define them, and play with them in irb. You wouldn't create any
instances of Foo yet, but you can do things like this:

Foo.count
Foo.increment_count
Foo.count
Foo.increment_count
Foo.increment_count
Foo.count

Go try that in irb, and see if the result makes sense.

Now let's move on. Keep the same class above, but add this -- if you're in the
same irb session, you can just re-open the class:

class Foo
def initialize
Foo.increment_count
end
end

Now our counter should work as expected:

Foo.count
f = Foo.new
Foo.count

It won't tell you how many Foo objects actually exist. It's more a count of
how many have ever been created.

Also, if you understand this so far, go back to my earlier example that was
"way over your head" -- see if it makes sense. I'll give you an example -- if
you have a variable f, which is an instance of class Foo, what is f.class?

And if you're inside the initialize method of f, what is self? And what is
self.class?
MLK> (There is a way to call private methods from outside, but I will leave
MLK> you to find it out on your own. It's not generally a good thing, and
MLK> I'm not going to hand you a dangerous tool until you understand when
not MLK> to use it.)

So ... when _can_ I use class_variable_get ???

You can use it whenever you want. When _should_ you use it?

Like instance_variable_get, it's designed for metaprogramming -- that is, when
you're trying to access a variable, but its name is dynamic.

I'll give you an example of when instance_variable_get might be used. Remember
attr_reader? (If not, look it up...) Now, for speed, attr_reader is defined
in C, but it can be defined in Ruby. Here's the obvious 'eval' solution:

class Module
def attr_reader *names
names.each do |name|
eval "def #{name}; @#{name}; end"
end
end
end

But there are many reasons I dislike eval. Here's the solution I'd prefer:

class Module
def attr_reader *names
names.each do |name|
var_name = :"@#{name}"
define_method name do
instance_variable_get var_name
end
end
end
end

I don't expect you to follow every detail here. The use of define_method is an
advanced topic already. Hopefully, though, the fact that you already know how
to use attr_reader should give you an idea of how that works.

Also, I don't really expect you to need any of this yet -- attr_reader,
attr_writer, and attr_accessor should already do everything you need.

Ralph Shnelvar

Rick,

I know I am top-posting but ...

This has been super-helpful. It presents a helicopter view of what
was, uh, mystifying me. :)

Many, many, thanks.

Ralph

Saturday, November 28, 2009, 7:46:26 AM, you wrote:

> [...]

DM> instances of Foo yet, but you can do things like this:

DM> Foo.count
DM> Foo.increment_count
DM> Foo.count
DM> Foo.increment_count
DM> Foo.increment_count
DM> Foo.count

DM> Go try that in irb, and see if the result makes sense.

DM> Now let's move on. Keep the same class above, but add this -- if you're in the
DM> same irb session, you can just re-open the class:

DM> class Foo
DM> def initialize
DM> Foo.increment_count
DM> end
DM> end

DM> Now our counter should work as expected:

DM> Foo.count
DM> f = Foo.new
DM> Foo.count

DM> It won't tell you how many Foo objects actually exist. It's more a count of

Cool.

Is there a way to tell how many instances actually exist? Is there
anything like a destructor for class instances? Just curious.

DM> Also, if you understand this so far, go back to my earlier example that was
DM> "way over your head" -- see if it makes sense. I'll give you an example -- if
DM> you have a variable f, which is an instance of class Foo, what is f.class?

DM> And if you're inside the initialize method of f, what is self? And what is
DM> self.class?

DM> You can use it whenever you want. When _should_ you use it?

DM> Like instance_variable_get, it's designed for metaprogramming -- that is, when
DM> you're trying to access a variable, but its name is dynamic.

DM> I'll give you an example of when instance_variable_get might be used. Remember
DM> attr_reader? (If not, look it up...) Now, for speed, attr_reader is defined
DM> in C, but it can be defined in Ruby. Here's the obvious 'eval' solution:

DM> class Module
DM> def attr_reader *names
DM> names.each do |name|
DM> eval "def #{name}; @#{name}; end"
DM> end
DM> end
DM> end

DM> But there are many reasons I dislike eval. Here's the solution I'd prefer:

DM> class Module
DM> def attr_reader *names
DM> names.each do |name|
DM> var_name = :"@#{name}"
DM> define_method name do
DM> instance_variable_get var_name
DM> end
DM> end
DM> end
DM> end

So, basically, the reason that instance_variable_get is private to
Module is that one does not wish make breaking encapsulation too easy?

I mean, it seems easy enough to break encapsulation by adding an
accessor, right?

DM> I don't expect you to follow every detail here. The use of define_method is an
DM> advanced topic already. Hopefully, though, the fact that you already know how
DM> to use attr_reader should give you an idea of how that works.

DM> Also, I don't really expect you to need any of this yet -- attr_reader,
DM> attr_writer, and attr_accessor should already do everything you need.

This is, actually, very lucid. I had few problems following any of it.

Also ... I _did_ try (successfully, I hope) to follow every detail.

Many many thanks.

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Ralph Shnelvar wrote
[...]
DM> You can use it whenever you want. When _should_ you use it?

DM> Like instance_variable_get, it's designed for metaprogramming --
that is, when
DM> you're trying to access a variable, but its name is dynamic.

DM> I'll give you an example of when instance_variable_get might be
used. Remember
DM> attr_reader? (If not, look it up...) Now, for speed, attr_reader is
defined
DM> in C, but it can be defined in Ruby. Here's the obvious 'eval'
solution:

DM> class Module
DM> def attr_reader *names
DM> names.each do |name|
DM> eval "def #{name}; @#{name}; end"
DM> end
DM> end
DM> end

DM> But there are many reasons I dislike eval. Here's the solution I'd
prefer:

DM> class Module
DM> def attr_reader *names
DM> names.each do |name|
DM> var_name = :"@#{name}"
DM> define_method name do
DM> instance_variable_get var_name
DM> end
DM> end
DM> end
DM> end

So, basically, the reason that instance_variable_get is private to
Module is that one does not wish make breaking encapsulation too easy?

I mean, it seems easy enough to break encapsulation by adding an
accessor, right?

Wrong. attr_accessor really doesn't break encapsulation in the
conventional sense -- that is, it's not even remotely equivalent to
declaring a public data member in C++ or Java. Ruby has *no way* to
make instance variables public. This is a Good Thing.

attr_accessor just defines getter and setter methods -- and keeps the
variable encapsulated. When you do
@p = Person.new
@p.name = 'Ralph'
puts @p.name

the caller is making no assumptions at all about whether @p has an
instance variable called @name. It is impossible to tell from the code
supplied -- that detail is completely encapsulated. We assume that @p
has methods called :name and :name= , but that leaks nothing of @p's
internals.

Best,

Florian Gilcher

So, basically, the reason that instance_variable_get is private to
Module is that one does not wish make breaking encapsulation too easy?

I mean, it seems easy enough to break encapsulation by adding an
accessor, right?

The reason that instance_variable_get exists is solely to allow dynamic
lookup of instance variables to work in cases like define_method. It =20
is not
intended to be used from the outside, because it would unintentionally =20=

publish
all internal state of a class. This can be easily circumvented in such a
dynamic language like Ruby, but it has a big, fat warning sign =20
attached to it.

But even from the outside, it doesn't break one of the main properties =20=

of the
ruby language: the uniform access principle. There is only one way to
retrieve or change a value from/in an Object: by calling a method.
C++ and Java have two: directly accessing a member or calling a method.
In Ruby, this is especially true, because:

a.foo =3D "bar"

Is the same as sending the message :foo=3D to a.

a.send:)foo=3D, "bar")

where foo=3D is implemented as:

class A
def foo=3D(val)
#internal assignment
end
end

In every language it is easy to publish a value by adding a method. This
is not "breaking encapsulation", it is intentional publishing. If you =20=

don't
know what you are doing when implementing this method, no language can =20=

help
you. The way Ruby handles instance variables only makes it harder to =20
access
them in ways that the class implementer intended.

But even with instance_variable_get public, your only way of getting a =20=

value
would still be to call that method. Which would give the class =20
implementer
the possibility to delete, change or hook that method.

Regards,
Florian

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_access_principle
- --
Florian Gilcher

smtp: (e-mail address removed)
jabber: (e-mail address removed)
gpg: 533148E2

David Masover

DM> It won't tell you how many Foo objects actually exist. It's more a
count of DM> how many have ever been created.

Cool.

Is there a way to tell how many instances actually exist? Is there
anything like a destructor for class instances? Just curious.

These are separate questions.

In MRI, you can tell how many instances exist by actually counting them. Look
at the documentation for ObjectSpace.

And yes, you can register a destructor -- that's also in ObjectSpace, and it's
called a "finalizer". But remember, Ruby is garbage-collected -- that means
you have absolutely no guarantee of _when_ that object will be removed. The
finalizer is guaranteed to be called before the program exits, but that's the
only guarantee you get.

Both of these are relatively advanced topics, and something that shouldn't be
needed in most programs. Keep in mind that in C++, then main purpose of a
destructor is to free resources used by the object in question -- and most of
these resources are simply other objects. So, the fact that Ruby is garbage-
collected removes most of the reason for destructors/finalizers.

An exception would be a resource that is more than just an object -- for
example, an open file, or a database handle. But these are generally much
scarcer resources than memory, so if at all possible, you want to manually
close these as soon as you can, rather than waiting for something to get
garbage collected. For example:

open 'some_file' do |file|
file.each_line do |line|
# do some stuff with each line in the file
end
end

What might not be obvious here is that the 'open' call will automatically
close the file when the block exits.
So, basically, the reason that instance_variable_get is private to
Module is that one does not wish make breaking encapsulation too easy?

Others have answered this already...

In a very basic sense, yes, that seems like a valid answer. There is really no
good reason why code outside a class should have to call
instance_variable_get, most of the time. It's private so that when you try,
you'll rethink your architecture so you don't need it.

On the other hand, Ruby has open classes. While there are ways to supposedly
lock it down and run untrusted code in a safe sandbox, in general, any code
running in the same interpreter can do all sorts of things to existing
classes. In other words, if you want to access the variable @bar in an object
of class Foo, you could always do something like this:

class Foo
attr_reader :bar
end

There are many other ways of getting the same result.

Now, Florian mentioned another aspect, which is that you still can only know
anything about an object by calling methods on it. So even if
instance_variable_get was public, there's nothing from stopping an especially
paranoid class from redefining it or removing it.

I think that's more than enough to answer your question, but if you're
curious, you could always have a sort of "arms race" of trying to enforce
encapsulation. For example, even if someone redefines instance_variable_get, I
can always do this:

Class.instance_method:)instance_method).bind(Foo).call:)instance_variable_get).bind(foo).call:)@bar)

That means there's nothing the Foo class itself can do to hide the @bar
variable from you, including redefining instance_method on itself.

But wait! How do you know Class itself hasn't been modified?

The lesson to learn here is that while Ruby is very good at encapsulation by
convention, it's not very good at all at enforced encapsulation, as C++ is. At
the end of the day, you have to remember that this is a language which lets
you define null to be not null. Here, try this in irb:

class NilClass
def nil?
false
end
end

Now type any other command, and watch irb crash.
I mean, it seems easy enough to break encapsulation by adding an
accessor, right?

Well, yes and no.

Yes, you can break encapsulation by just adding an accessor to any instance
variable that anyone was trying to hide from you. You can also break it by
using one of several tricks to call the private instance_variable_get, and
probably a few ways I haven't thought of. Ruby doesn't enforce encapsulation.

On the other hand, accessors are the ultimate in encapsulation -- partly
because they're the only sane way to get at instance variables, and partly
because they're so easy to define. I remember wishing for them in Java, where
good coding style led to lots of these:

private int foo;
public int getFoo() {
return foo;
}
public void setFoo(int value) {
foo = value;
}

I can see why Java people use tools like Eclipse -- there's no way you want to
type all that stuff yourself. But it's still a good idea, because it allows
you to change your internal structure to no longer require that variable,
without changing your external interface.

The point here is, if you actually expose an accessor, no one has to use
instance_variable_get or anything like it -- they won't be mucking about with
the internals of your class. (If they do, they're asking for trouble when you
change something.) That means you can, among other things, override the
behavior of the accessor on subclasses, replace it entirely with a method,
etc.

Just as an example: Suppose you have a class like this:

class Line
attr_reader :a, :b, :slope
def initialize(point_a, point_b)
@a = point_a
@b = point_b
@slope = (a.x - b.x) / (a.y - b.y)
end
end

Now, maybe later on, you notice this isn't working out too well -- maybe not
everyone cares about the slope, so you're wasting cycles calculating it every
time. Maybe the points are changing frequently, and you don't want to have to
re-calculate the slope on every change, only when someone requests it. Since
you defined slope as a reader method, you can just change your implementation:

class Line
attr_reader :a, :b
def slope
(a.x - b.x) / (a.y - b.y)
end
end

No one has to know that @slope no longer exists.

Granted, you might have some coders who deliberately break things by talking
to @slope directly, but if you've defined an accessor, they have to be a
masochist to want to do it that way. Similarly, because it's just one command
for you to define them, you really have no excuse not to.

I suppose that's the fundamental difference -- in Java and C++, encapsulation
can be enforced to some extent, while in Ruby, it can be easily circumvented.
But Ruby makes it easy to write well-encapsulated code, while Java and C++
make it annoying and tedious.

Ralph Shnelvar

DM> These are separate questions.

[snip]

DM> I suppose that's the fundamental difference -- in Java and C++, encapsulation
DM> can be enforced to some extent, while in Ruby, it can be easily circumvented.
DM> But Ruby makes it easy to write well-encapsulated code, while Java and C++
DM> make it annoying and tedious.

Oh, wow, what a great explanation! Thanks for taking the time. Wow.