classloader problem for data protocol URL using WSAD 5

Edward

I have an application using WSAD 5 that is using Apache FOP to generate
images using the external-graphic tag. I need to generate a new image
using the data protocol for the external-image src. Apache has a code
patch to allow acceptance of the data protocol. I am able to
successfully use this patch to generate the image running a standalone
java app but I am not getting the patch to work while running a web
servlet app in WSAD.

After conferring with an FOP forum I was informed that the problem was
because the patch needs to be referenced by basic class libraries
(java.net.URL) in the system class folder. This expert, however, was
not skilled in WS and did not know how to do this.

I have tried installing this code patch as a JAR in the base java lib
used by WSAD (C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere
Studio\runtimes\base_v5\java\bin) as referenced by the ws.ext.dirs
property and as a JAR dependency in the MANIFEST.MF of the WAR module
of the EAR. In both cases the application does not seem to reference
the code.

How do I install this code patch so that the basic class libraries will
reference it?

Edward

Edward said:
[...]

This is how I finally got it to work:

I added my JAR with the new classes and batik.jar to the global via:

Servers -> myserver -> configuration tab -> Process Definition -> Java
Virtual Machine -> Classpath

in Classpath I just listed the two jars separated only by newlines.