ClassPath-DUMB questions? for Windows 2000 or XP.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ravichandran Mahalingam, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Dear Readers,

    I am beginner to Java and the classpath problems. Please kindly
    clarify for each of the statements below.

    1. it is best to put the 'jar files' of a software vendor in the
    %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext folder for the compiler and editors like
    'eclipse' to see the classes and java objects in the software vendor's
    jar file.

    2. it is sufficient to mention the actual path of the folder where the
    ..class files are present in the CLASSPATH environment variable for the
    classes I had created.

    3. IS IT NECESSARY TO type the full path and filename into the
    CLASSPATH variable if we choose not to put the .jar file from the
    vendor into the
    %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext folder. that will make CLASSPATH values too
    long and I fear trunction in windows.

    I understand that we can create another VAR for the long foldername
    and replace it by %VAR%\filename.jar to shorten it. but i feel it
    might be a hassle.

    4. Is question #3 true for JAXP and other jar files from SUN and
    other big Java players?

    I do understand that which ever class is encountered first in the
    classpath variable will be executed first - same as dlls or other
    programs in the path variables.

    5. Does %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext\ folder take precedence over CLASSPATH
    or vice versa.

    SORRY FOR THE CONVOLUTED questions.

    thanks and regards
    Ravi.