ClassPath-DUMB questions? for Windows 2000 or XP.

Ravichandran Mahalingam

Dear Readers,

I am beginner to Java and the classpath problems. Please kindly
clarify for each of the statements below.

1. it is best to put the 'jar files' of a software vendor in the
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext folder for the compiler and editors like
'eclipse' to see the classes and java objects in the software vendor's
jar file.

2. it is sufficient to mention the actual path of the folder where the
..class files are present in the CLASSPATH environment variable for the
classes I had created.

3. IS IT NECESSARY TO type the full path and filename into the
CLASSPATH variable if we choose not to put the .jar file from the
vendor into the
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext folder. that will make CLASSPATH values too
long and I fear trunction in windows.

I understand that we can create another VAR for the long foldername
and replace it by %VAR%\filename.jar to shorten it. but i feel it
might be a hassle.

4. Is question #3 true for JAXP and other jar files from SUN and
other big Java players?

I do understand that which ever class is encountered first in the
classpath variable will be executed first - same as dlls or other
programs in the path variables.

5. Does %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext\ folder take precedence over CLASSPATH
or vice versa.

SORRY FOR THE CONVOLUTED questions.

thanks and regards
Ravi.