    variables between them)

    2) Two completely separate scripts (client / server) , which will be
    easier to write , but more problematic for the client to read server’s data
    George Mpouras, Jan 31, 2014

  2. George Mpouras <> wrote:
    >Let’s say I have n servers and each one should have a client and a
    >server component (in Perl) . The client connect to other servers,
    >process their answers and the server component serves these answers (to
    >the other servers clients) . What do you think is the best way to build it.
    >
    >1) As one service that is both client & server (easier to have shared
    >variables between them)
    >
    >2) Two completely separate scripts (client / server) , which will be
    >easier to write , but more problematic for the client to read server’s data

    That would depend to a very large degree on what kind of service you are
    talking about, what kind and size of data you are expecting, how long
    retrieving the data takes, if your server and the client on same machine
    need to synchronize their actions or if your client can retrieve the
    data asynchroniously and cache it locally, etc, etc, etc.

    And none of these questions has anything to do with Perl.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jan 31, 2014

  3. George Mpouras <> writes:
    > Let¡¯s say I have n servers and each one should have a client and a
    > server component (in Perl) . The client connect to other servers,
    > process their answers and the server component serves these answers
    > (to the other servers clients) . What do you think is the best way to
    > build it.
    >
    > 1) As one service that is both client & server (easier to have
    > shared variables between them)
    >
    > 2) Two completely separate scripts (client / server) , which will
    > be easier to write , but more problematic for the client to read
    > server¡¯s data

    I would go for the second, having a documented interface for client <->
    server interactions and possibly, an independent 'message constructing
    and interpreting library' shared by both insofar they are/ were written
    using the same language.
    Rainer Weikusat, Feb 3, 2014