Client Side processing of downloaded application/octet-stream files

Paul J. Lay

BlankThere are a number of good examples illustrating how an http client can send http mulipart/form-data files to a server using the dotnet.framework.aspnet support. I haven't been able to find a good example of client side processing of multiple downloaded files. I believe the content type is APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM. Can you point me to a good example of this? Our application must be able to send and receive multiple files in one stream. Is it possible to use the WebClient class? Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Paul J. Lay

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Paul,

From your description, you 're wondering some certain dotnet buildin
classes/componetns to perform the multi-files uploads and downloads
operatons which similar with what can be done via web page's
fileupload/download, yes?

As for this question, here are my suggestions;
1. AS for the file download, it is limited that we can make one
httpwebrequest and retireve one download file each time. Just like what we
do file download via web page. There are some sample codes in the following
weblinks.

2. About the upload, when we use a webpage to upload files, we can put on
mulit inputfile html controls and upload multi-files in one post request.
However, as far as I've searched, I haven't found any sample or techarticle
demostrate on uploading multi-files via webclient or httpwebRequest class.
All I've found is upload one file eachtime. I'm not sure the behavior via
the webclient class or uploading through web page in IE is different, and
currently I'm consulting some further experts on this and will update you
as soon as I've got any further reference. Thanks.

Tech articles on performing file uploading and downloading applied the
webclient or httpWebrequest/HttpWebResponse classes
#Uploading and Downloading Files
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Internet/WebRequestNResponseMDB.asp

#MultipartForm Uploader
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Code/2003/May/DotNetBugs.asp

Certain reference in MSDN:
#WebClient.UploadFile Method (String, String)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemNetWebClientCl
assUploadFileTopic1.asp?frame=true

#WebClient.DownloadFile Method
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemNetWebClientCl
assDownloadFileTopic.asp?frame=true

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Paul,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? From my further research, the
multi-file upload via webclient or httpWebrequest(I think webclient is much
more simple to use) need to implement by upload a single file each request
one by one. As for the Multi-file upload via web page(the intput file
elements), it seem has been handled at serverside internally before we
process it in asp.net and which is hard to implement when using the
webclient or httpWebRequest component. Anyway, if you have anything
unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks.