Close a window when it loses focus

Fernie

I have a url that opens a sized popup when clicked.

Is it possible to embed the popup's html with javascript so that it
automatically closes itself when focus is lost?

Anyway, I looked at onfocus() and was hoping to find something like
onfocusLost()...

Thank you.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I have a url that opens a sized popup when clicked.

Not here it doesn't.
Is it possible to embed the popup's html with javascript so that it
automatically closes itself when focus is lost?

Possible, yes. Will it work? Maybe. Sometimes. But is that what the user
wants? Then again, does the user want the popup in the first place?
Probably not.

Fernie

Mark Parnell said:
Not here it doesn't.

Possible, yes. Will it work? Maybe. Sometimes. But is that what the user
wants? Then again, does the user want the popup in the first place?
Probably not.

Hi, I found the right method, onBlur(). Anyway, the popup is opened when
the user clicks on a url and not automatically when they go to my page; so I
am guessing (and would hope) that it would open on your system, unless you
have javascript disabled.

Best Regards,

Fernie

rf

Fernie wrote
I have a url that opens a sized popup when clicked.

No you don't. At least you don't on any of my browsers. What is wrong with
simply using the window I have already provided you with?
Is it possible to embed the popup's html with javascript so that it
automatically closes itself when focus is lost?
Possibly.

Anyway, I looked at onfocus() and was hoping to find something like
onfocusLost()...

I'll bet you didn't find it :)

You should have been looking for onBlur.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Hi, I found the right method, onBlur(). Anyway, the popup is opened when
the user clicks on a url and not automatically when they go to my page; so I
am guessing (and would hope) that it would open on your system, unless you
have javascript disabled.

Then you would guess (and hope) wrong. My browser will not allow any new
window to open unless I specifically tell it to. As it should. If I want
a new window opened, I will do it myself.

rf

Fernie said:
Anyway, the popup is opened when
the user clicks on a url and not automatically when they go to my page; so I
am guessing (and would hope) that it would open on your system, unless you

It still will not open on my system, unless I specifically allow it to.
have javascript disabled.

Nope.

Starshine Moonbeam

Fernie said:
I have a url that opens a sized popup when clicked.

Is it possible to embed the popup's html with javascript so that it
automatically closes itself when focus is lost?

Anyway, I looked at onfocus() and was hoping to find something like
onfocusLost()...

onBlur

Fernie

I read your article and I really don't think that there is anything wrong
with an inoffensive little popup that display suppplimentary information on
user demand.

I'm helping a friend with a site and I'll tell you for a fact that people
use our little popup windows like crazy. We used to take the visitor to a
new page but this has changed and I truly feel that this provides the end
user with a cleaner, more pleasant browsing experience.

Best Regards,

Fernie

Fernie

rf said:
Fernie wrote

I'll bet you didn't find it :)
You should have been looking for onBlur.

Thanks. I don't think that you can get any more descriptive than onBlur.

Best Regards,

Fernie

Leonard Blaisdell

"Fernie" said:
I'm helping a friend with a site and I'll tell you for a fact that people
use our little popup windows like crazy.

It must be a popular site. They have no choice. Have you given them the
opportunity to complain about those "crazy popup windows"?

leo

Fernie

Leonard Blaisdell said:
It must be a popular site. They have no choice. Have you given them the
opportunity to complain about those "crazy popup windows"?

leo

Leo, they are not unwanted "crazy popups". Think of it as being a planned
birth, the innocent and inoffensive product of the user's browser triggered
by a mouse click.

rf

Fernie said:
Leo, they are not unwanted "crazy popups". Think of it as being a planned
birth, the innocent and inoffensive product of the user's browser triggered
by a mouse click.

Please provide a URL to these offending popups :)

Leif K-Brooks

Fernie said:
Leo, they are not unwanted "crazy popups". Think of it as being a planned
birth, the innocent and inoffensive product of the user's browser triggered
by a mouse click.

The user didn't ask for a popup window by clicking the link, they asked
for a new page to open. The only time I want a new window is when I
_specifically_ request it using my browser's context menu.

Empower your newsreader to send a broken signature separator, you mean?
It should be "-- ", not "--".

Karl Core

I read your article and I really don't think that there is anything wrong
with an inoffensive little popup that display suppplimentary information on
user demand.

I'm helping a friend with a site and I'll tell you for a fact that people
use our little popup windows like crazy. We used to take the visitor to a
new page but this has changed and I truly feel that this provides the end
user with a cleaner, more pleasant browsing experience.

You may have read it, but obviously didn't "get it".
Users hate new windows of all kinds, regardless of how they're opened.
This isn't conjecture, this is a fact which I have personally observed
(repeatedly) in the usability lab.

BTW - Stop top-posting

SpaceGirl

Karl said:
You may have read it, but obviously didn't "get it".
Users hate new windows of all kinds, regardless of how they're opened.
This isn't conjecture, this is a fact which I have personally observed
(repeatedly) in the usability lab.

BTW - Stop top-posting

You speak for all users honey? That's nice.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Fernie

Karl Core said:
BTW - Stop top-posting

I really don't know what top posting means. My PC's date and time are set
to my local date and time and I am replying to my original posts using OE.
Or do you mean that I reply under the prior post as in this message?

Best regards,

Fernie