close favorites and history using javascript

Alex D.

does any body knows how to open a new IE window and close the favorites tab
and history tab (if tabs enabled)? problem is that when opening new
windows(pop-ups) with absolute size and the user has favorites or history
views enabled then the content in page is wraped and scroll bars appears
everywhere.

thanks,
alex.

darrel

does any body knows how to open a new IE window and close the favorites tab
and history tab (if tabs enabled)?

You mean, 'how can I really annoy a user by taking complete control of their
web browser and hide all of the useful things they purposely had left open?'

Well, you can't. Fortunately. At this time, you can launch a window and hide
the toolbar, but even that is getting tougher to do as newer browsers
prevent such annoying behavior from javascript.
problem is that when opening new
windows(pop-ups) with absolute size and the user has favorites or history
views enabled then the content in page is wraped and scroll bars appears
everywhere.

The better solution is to not force absolute sized designs on the end-user.

-Darrel

Alejandro Penate-Diaz

I am trying to give the user a more usefull experience, you dont need a
confirmation window wiht favorites and history attached....so dont give me
your cliche...

Alejandro Penate-Diaz

so you are the good programmer that give the user those datepickers with
favorites and history all around the calendar ahh?? hehehe so you think you
are very wise ahh?? sorry, you are not.

darrel

so you are the good programmer that give the user those datepickers with
favorites and history all around the calendar ahh?? hehehe so you think you
are very wise ahh?? sorry, you are not

Wise? No. I just give a damn about the end user's preferences.

-Darrel

darrel

you dont need a
confirmation window wiht favorites and history attached....so dont give me
your cliche...

Use a javascript alert. Or a div. Or just load the confirmation in the same
browser window. No need to spawn a new window.

Anyways, I did answer your question. If you want to pop-up a new window, you
can, but there's no way to close the bookmarks pane autoamtically from your
end.

-Darrel

Alex D.

yes I need a new window because the new GridView (ASP.NET 2.0) control
doesnt post back tha value of a hidden column so instead I use a hyperlink
to a page and pass the hidden value in the query string. So you see...there
is a very good reason for a new window...you just didnt know..but every day
we learn something new.

Alejandro.

darrel

yes I need a new window because the new GridView (ASP.NET 2.0) control
doesnt post back tha value of a hidden column so instead I use a hyperlink
to a page and pass the hidden value in the query string. So you see...there
is a very good reason for a new window.

That's not a very good reason. Sounds like a sloppy control and you coming
up with a workaround. Personally, I've found datagrids/gridviews to be so
limiting in their front end presentation (and apparently, their excution
with the gridview) that they aren't worth using.

To each their own, of course. We all skin our cats differently.

Anyways, if you must use a pop-up, fine...just don't expect to be able to
completely control it.

-Darrel

Alex D.

may be you are right. anyway..after this this.Response.Write("<script
language='javascript'> {window.close();}</script>") I dont have to worry
about favorites or history, just changed from confirmation to non
confirmation window.

alex.