Closing a window

Kevin Partin

I am creating HTML documents that have the same structure as shown
below. As a convenience to the user, I wanted to simply put a button
on the bottom of the page to close the window. However, since the
window is not created by a script, the onclick command does not work.
These files are simply meant to be clicked on by the user and
displayed in their browser of choice. Any suggestions?

Kevin Partin

<head>
<title>Eigenvalue Summary Table</title>
<!--

h1 {
font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
font-size: large;
font-weight: bold;
text-align: center;
}

subtitle {
font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
font-size:small;
font-weight: bold;
text-align: center;
}

* {
font-family: courier new,courier,monospace;
}

-->
</head>
<h1>Real Eigenvalue Summary Table</h1>
style="width: 80%; text-align: right;"
title="Real Eigenvalue Summary Table" cols="4">
<tbody>
arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">Eigenvalue</td>
arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">Radians</td>
</tbody>
<hr align="left" noshade size="1px" width="100%">
<form style="text-align: center;">
<input type="button" value="Close"
onclick="window.close()" style="font-family:
arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">
</form>

Mick White

Kevin said:
I am creating HTML documents that have the same structure as shown
below. As a convenience to the user, I wanted to simply put a button
on the bottom of the page to close the window. However, since the
window is not created by a script, the onclick command does not work.
These files are simply meant to be clicked on by the user and
displayed in their browser of choice. Any suggestions?
<input type="button" value="Close"
onclick="window.close()" style="font-family:
arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">

Personally, I would learn to come to grips with the "limitations" of
javascript.
The reason that browsers are reluctant to close the main window is that
is a poor ui technique, and it often leaves the user confused.
Mick

Michael Winter

I am creating HTML documents that have the same structure as shown
below. As a convenience to the user, I wanted to simply put a button
on the bottom of the page to close the window. However, since the
window is not created by a script, the onclick command does not work.
These files are simply meant to be clicked on by the user and
displayed in their browser of choice. Any suggestions?

Please read the FAQ, especially:

<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_14>

[snip]

Mike

Mick White

Michael said:
I am creating HTML documents that have the same structure as shown
below. As a convenience to the user, I wanted to simply put a button
on the bottom of the page to close the window. However, since the
window is not created by a script, the onclick command does not work.
These files are simply meant to be clicked on by the user and
displayed in their browser of choice. Any suggestions?

Please read the FAQ, especially:

<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_14>

[snip]

Mike
Some browsers will close the window under some circumstances, the FAQ
fails to address the consequences of closing the main window, rather the
FAQ categorically states that it is not possible.
Mick

Michael Winter

On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:13:41 GMT, Mick White

[snip]
Some browsers will close the window under some circumstances, the FAQ
fails to address the consequences of closing the main window, rather the
FAQ categorically states that it is not possible.

I realise that (I know the hack), but what exactly is the point in
relaying the existance of a browser flaw to achieve something that
shouldn't be attempted anyway? Particularly if it doesn't work with all
browsers.

Closing the window via a link or button doesn't provide convenience, just
an alternative way to do something that you could already do three other
ways. Users know about the button in the title bar (that is, the X in
Windows and KDE). Most will know about an exit option in the File menu.
Some will also know about the Alt+F4 keystroke. An application specific
way is not expected and completely unnecessary. Why encourage it?

Mike

Mick White

Michael said:
[...]

I agree with your sentiments entirely, I just have a problem with
"impossible". It may be better to acknowledge that it can be done, for
the sake of truth, if nothing else.
Mick

Randy Webb

Mick said:
Michael said:
[...]

I stopped posting the "hack" and even the path to get to it via google
(search the archives for "unconditional truth" and you will find it),
not because I got tired of it, but because I got tired of the "you
shouldn't do that" argument. No, you shouldn't, but it doesn't change
the fact that more and more browsers are implementing this "bug" (Yes,
its a bug). But its hard to call/believe something is a bug when its so
prevelant.