Code-Behind Pain in the Behind!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Daniel Manes, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Daniel Manes

    Daniel Manes Guest

    Okay, here are the facts ma'am (or mister):

    1. I have a user control called "Header" and a main page called
    "ReportMatch".
    2. I've written "code-behinds" for both the user control and the main
    page.
    3. This means four files: Ladder.ascx, Ladder.ascx.vb,
    ReportMatch.aspx, and ReportMatch.aspx.vb.
    4. None of this stuff is precompiled, and I would prefer not to have to
    mess with precompiling and dll's and all that jazz (and I don't have
    VS.NET).
    5. I have Option Strict turned on.
    6. I can get the Header to show up in ReportMatch (yay!), but if I try
    to declare a variable in the ReportMatch code-behind as type Header, I
    get the error "BC30002: Type 'Header' is not defined" (boo!).

    So, my question:
    Is there any way to get this error to stop occurring? Please tell me
    there is. I'm going crazy here!

    Here are some code snippets (all in VB.NET):

    ********** from Ladder.ascx **********
    <%@ Control Language="VB" Explicit="True" Strict="True" Debug="True"
    Src="Ladder.ascx.vb" %>

    ********** from Ladder.ascx.vb **********
    Option Explicit
    Option Strict
    Imports System, System.Configuration, System.Data, System.Data.Odbc,
    System.Web.UI, System.Web.UI.WebControls
    Public Class Header
    Inherits UserControl
    Public LogInLink As HyperLink
    'A few more declarations like this -- snipped
    Sub InitConnectObj
    Dim ConnectStr As String
    ConnectStr = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnectStr")
    ConnectObjG.ConnectionString = ConnectStr
    End Sub
    'Another method -- snipped
    End Class

    ********** from ReportMatch.ascx **********
    <%@ Page Language="VB" Explicit="True" Strict="True" Debug="True"
    Src="ReportMatch.aspx.vb" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="Ladder" TagName="Header" Src="Ladder.ascx" %>
    <Ladder:Header ID="HeaderCtrl" runat="server" />
    .... some custom validator tags ...

    ********** from ReportMatch.ascx.vb **********
    Option Explicit
    Option Strict
    Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic, System, System.Configuration,
    System.Collections, System.Data, System.Data.Odbc, System.Math,
    System.Web.UI, System.Web.UI.WebControls
    Public Class ReportMatch
    Inherits Page
    Public HeaderCtrl As Header = CType(LoadControl("Ladder.ascx.vb"),
    Header) 'This generates the error "BC30002: Type 'Header' is not
    defined"!!!
    Public DateCtrl As Calendar
    'A few more declarations like this -- snipped
    Sub Page_Load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs)
    HeaderCtrl.InitConnectObj() 'If I try to declare HeaderCtrl As Type
    Control or UserControl, this doesn't work because InitConnectObj is not
    a method of either of those classes.
    'Some other stuff -- snipped
    End Sub
    'Several methods and validation handlers -- snipped
    End Class

    I've scoured this newsgroup and Google and tried seemingly everything
    (except precompiling into dll's, which I hope I don't have to do), and
    I just can't get this thing working.

    Thanks in advance! (or TIA! if you prefer your thank you's in acronym
    form)

    -Dan

    Daniel Manes, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Try placing the classes within the same namespace. Your code should work
    fine at that point.

    -Ryan

    =?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBIYW5jb2Nr?=, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Daniel Manes

    Brock Allen Guest

    Two things:

    1) LoadControl takes a relative path to a ASCX file (not a .VB file).
    2) You can use the <%@ Reference Control="foo.ascx" %> syntax to add a reference
    to the user control's assembly.

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Daniel Manes

    danthman Guest

    Hi Ryan,

    That sounds like it might help, but I'm not quite sure how to pull that
    off. Could I trouble you to send a little more info?

    Thanks,

    -Dan

    danthman, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Daniel Manes

    danthman Guest

    Hi Brock,

    I tried both of those"two things," and I crossed my finger too, but I
    still get the same confounded error "BC30002 Type 'Header' is not
    defined." Here's how my code looks now:

    ********** ReportMatch.aspx **********
    <%@ Page Language="VB" Explicit="True" Strict="True" Debug="True"
    Inherits="ReportMatch" Src="ReportMatch.aspx.vb" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="Ladder" TagName="Header" Src="Ladder.ascx" %>
    <%@ Reference Control="Ladder.ascx" %>

    ********** ReportMatch.aspx.vb **********
    Public Class ReportMatch
    Inherits Page
    Public HeaderCtrl As Header = CType(LoadControl("Ladder.ascx"),
    Header)

    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks!

    -Dan

    danthman, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Daniel Manes

    Brock Allen Guest

    Ohh, sorry. I was being a moron -- for some reason I was assuming your code
    for the ASPX was inline with the ASPX itself (instead of codebehind).

    Yeah, I think you're out of luck. The codebehinds for the ASPXs are compiled
    at a different time than the codebehind for ASCXs, so that class (your ASCX
    codebehind) isn't in the compilation context. If you did move the code from
    your ASPX's codebehind into the ASPX itself (inside a <script runat=server>
    block) then it'd work.

    If you look at using WebMatrix as an editor then its codemodel is all code
    inside (as opposed to codebehind) and this problem dosn't arise. Here's the
    download if you don't have it already:

    http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/download.aspx?tabindex=4

    Brock Allen, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Daniel Manes

    Bruce Barker Guest

    you are not going to like this.

    if you were using vs.net, it compiles all the codebehinds into a single dll.
    therefore you can reference other classes. to duplicate this behavioor, you
    need to remove the "src=" attribute from the aspx pages, and use the vb.net
    compiler, to compile all the codebehinds into a single dll, and place in the
    bin.

    your only other option is late binding

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Jun 10, 2005
  8. Daniel Manes

    danthman Guest

    Thanks, Brock.

    I actually have WebMatrix on my machine but I've been using Dreamweaver
    because it at least has an Intellisense-like feature for constructing
    tags.

    Also, I originally had all my html and scripting on one aspx page, but
    things started to get difficult to manage. Moving the code into a
    code-behind file made everything a lot easier to work with, except for
    that little issue of it *not working*! :)

    So, maybe I should just bite the bullet and learn how to pre-compile
    the user control. Either that, or just stick everything back into one
    aspx file again.

    -Dan

    danthman, Jun 10, 2005
  9. Daniel Manes

    danthman Guest

    Hey Bruce,

    Thanks for the info. Is "late binding" something I should be afraid of?
    I'm not really up on how to do it with VB.NET. Any chance you could
    send over a code snippet?

    Thanks,

    -Dan

    danthman, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Daniel Manes

    darrel Guest

    > I actually have WebMatrix on my machine but I've been using Dreamweaver
    > because it at least has an Intellisense-like feature for constructing
    > tags.

    DW and .net just don't go great together. I struggled for a while with it.
    Finally broke down and went with VS.net.

    IMHO, ASP.net and VS.net are designed to need each other to be productive.
    I'm not necessarily happy with that, but it's simply the way MS went with
    it.

    > So, maybe I should just bite the bullet and learn how to pre-compile
    > the user control. Either that, or just stick everything back into one
    > aspx file again.

    I'd suggest using code inline or going with VS.net for codebehind.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jun 10, 2005
  11. Daniel Manes

    danthman Guest

    Okay, answer to my own question...sort of. My original search was
    apparently in the wrong "department" of the msdn site. There is info on
    late binding for .NET, so I gave it a try.

    First, it said something about "can't do late binding with option
    strict." So, I turned option strict off. Then it said something about
    "can't create ActiveX object 'blah blah.'"

    Back to the drawing board.

    -Dan

    danthman, Jun 10, 2005
  12. Daniel Manes

    TJS Guest

    if your not using visual studio then you don't need all that crappy code
    behind.

    put your header code into an ascx file
    then in your aspx file use load control and a place holder

    TJS, Jun 10, 2005