color safe

News

A useful attitude to have, particularly when using Google to find
discussions of best web practice. It's amazing how long some pages
stay up!

Regarding "web-safe colours":
It's mainly used to refer to a palette of 216 colours that were
rendered identically on both Microsoft Windows and Apple systems, and
in both Netscape Navigator (remember that?!) and Internet Explorer.
This was back when many or most people had lower-resolution monitors
with a lesser colour depth, of course; not to mention the annoying
practice amongst OEMs of selling customers monitors capable of a
higher resolution but which left the factory set at a lower one.

Anyhoo, since even mobile 'phones can usually handle millions of
colours, it's a historical curiosity in most cases. Gamma and
whatever else might mean that the millions of colours that I see
aren't exactly the same as the ones that you do, but unless you're
developing a website for a paint manufacturer it's largely going to
be a technical irrelevancy. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

I see about seven colors anyway. It just don't matter what shade it is, it
is still PINK

Thanks

News

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, "News"

I was a caveman once but they threw me in the hoosegow 'cause my loin
cloth didn't meet community standards.

Anyhow, I suppose everyone has an opinion, but the fact is that
"web-safe colors" is term that is now mostly passe. Most computers,
monitors, browsers, et al can display each one of the 16+ million
colors just fine. Devices that possibly can't, such as those
phone-things or whatever, probably have an algorthm which transduces
colors satisfactorily.

Yup know what you mean, they locked me up for a stinking parking ticket I
refused to pay. Strip searced, poked, jabbed and then tossed me in the cave
with bars on it. They let me out and I still have not paid it... of course I
was a lot younger and heaps dumber then.

frederick

News said:
I see about seven colors anyway. It just don't matter what shade it is, it
is still PINK

It's when you can't distinguish between bright red and bright green
that people start backing away towards the door!

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "News"
Yup know what you mean, they locked me up for a stinking parking
ticket I refused to pay. Strip searced, poked, jabbed and then tossed
me in the cave with bars on it. They let me out and I still have not
paid it... of course I was a lot younger and heaps dumber then.

-For a parking ticket?? Where did you park, in the mayor's begonia patch?

I notice one thing: many voters who are vociferously pro tough-law-
enforcement sing a different tune once they get a taste of it themselves.

News

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, "News"

-For a parking ticket?? Where did you park, in the mayor's begonia
patch?

I parked in a no park zone then refused to pay and refused to pay. finally
the tab was about $300.00 and the cop thought he should drag me in.
I notice one thing: many voters who are vociferously pro tough-law-
enforcement sing a different tune once they get a taste of it
themselves.

Tough law enforcement only works when we are tough on ourselves. That moment
someone is allowed to FORCE you to comply is the moment you loose liberty
and they gain domination.

lets just build a huge space ship and allow all those who will not live as I
want them to to leave this planet in search of the new frontier. ;-)

News

frederick said:
It's when you can't distinguish between bright red and bright green
that people start backing away towards the door!

yup and they best stay out of the car while you are driving too

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "News"
I parked in a no park zone then refused to pay and refused to pay.
finally the tab was about $300.00 and the cop thought he should drag
me in.

I knew a guy in Chicago who amassed several tickets amounting to over
$2000.00, and this was some years ago. He used to park in front of his
downtown restaurant, feeling he had the right. Well, one night they came
and got him at his home around 2 in the morning and took him to the
slammer. He had to post a big bond to get out. Surprisingly or not, he
quit bitching about the parking situation after that...
Tough law enforcement only works when we are tough on ourselves. That
moment someone is allowed to FORCE you to comply is the moment you
loose liberty and they gain domination.

I don't think most people in general have any idea of how to protect their
liberties and freedom. Not in today's world. Most are too naive, too
gullible, or just plain too stupid to nourish freedom properly.
lets just build a huge space ship and allow all those who will not
live as I want them to to leave this planet in search of the new
frontier. ;-)

I'd rather send them to Australia and keep the spaceship for myself.

Jim Higson

Jim said:
There is a semi-official 'web safe' palette, but these days pretty much
all palettes are web safe so I wouldn't bother. Besides, the few computers
that still reduce the colours won't look all *that* bad.

If you're talking about exact colour rendering (Pantones etc), there's no
way to get them right, but the PNG format helps a bit because you can
store gamma information (although I'm not sure which browsers will use it,
and anyway most users won't have their browsers set up for it).

I tend to just get the images looking right on a monitor set up for sRGB,
and hope they don't vary too much in the wild.

My post needs a bit of correcting...

sRGB is a gamma of 2.2. Windows is set up for 2.2 and mac for 1.8. It seems
more sensible to use a value of 2 for your work so you're not too far from
either.

(linux users can set this up with the rather nice gamma tool in Guidance.
there's a shot of it on http://dot.kde.org/1145962774/ )