    Thank you in advance,

    QB

    , May 8, 2008

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 8 May, 13:10, wrote:

    > I developed a very straight forward html page using dreamweaver.

    Tell us the URL, then we can see it too.

    > When I saw the page on there PCs the colors are completly
    > different from that which appears on my laptop.

    The way you say "PC" suggests that you might be using a Mac. If so, do
    some research on "gamma".

    Otherwise look up "gamma" anyway. Just the difference between a CRT
    and an LCD can make some difference, depending on how subtle your
    colours are. In general, teh intawebs make a fair attempt at
    delivering the same RGB triplet, but what this turns into as a colour
    is up to the users' hardware. Then the user's eyes make their own
    differences.

    dorayme has to write CSS using the Martian Extended CSS 4 quintuplet
    for colours, so as to specify the ultraviolet and onfra-red components
    properly to her sensory tentacles. Poor old Blinky has to annotate the
    browser window chrome for its electrical field strength too, otherwise
    his hammerhead can't sense the window scrollbars.

    Andy Dingley, May 8, 2008

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing
    in news:b07c74e2-215a-42ef-a4d1-4547326bb321
    @k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

    > Good morning,
    >
    > I developed a very straight forward html page using dreamweaver. I
    > spent hours (I'm learning) to get the layout and colors just right.
    > Now that I have put it in place, a couple user commented on the
    > colors. When I saw the page on there PCs the colors are completly
    > different from that which appears on my laptop. Why is there a
    > difference and how can I set it up so what I develop is actually what
    > the person at the other end will see as well?
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > QB

    People are never going to see exactly the same color. There are several
    things to consider, calibration, monitor type, driver, angle, even time
    of day. Then there are people who have various types of color
    blindness.

    Go to your nearest electronics store. They usually have a few shelves
    filled with televisions, all showing the same program, but what is seen
    on each is different.

    The best thing to do is to make sure there is enough contrast between
    foreground and background colors, and that the colors compliment
    eachother. There are many color tools, both web based, and software
    based, that can help you with that.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, May 8, 2008
  4. On May 8, 8:10 am, wrote:
    > When I saw the page on there PCs the colors are completly
    > different from that which appears on my laptop. Why is there a
    > difference and how can I set it up so what I develop is actually what
    > the person at the other end will see as well?

    LCD colors and CRT colors are not necessarily the same. You can
    calibrate the colors of the monitor (either CRT or LCD) but since you
    can't do that on everyone's computer hat might come to your website
    then you should probably not worry about it.

    Travis Newbury, May 8, 2008
  5. Sherman Pendley wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell <> writes:
    >
    >> Go to your nearest electronics store. They usually have a few shelves
    >> filled with televisions, all showing the same program, but what is seen
    >> on each is different.

    > I worked at a television station for a while - the broadcast engineers there
    > referred to NTSC as "Never Twice the Same Color."

    I can confirm that that's widespread, from my work in the business in the
    Midwest and here in Hollywood. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 8, 2008
  6. On Thu, 8 May 2008 05:10:29 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:
    <snip>
    > Why is there a
    >difference and how can I set it up so what I develop is actually what
    >the person at the other end will see as well?

    As others have pointed out, you can't predict what colors will
    actually show up on a specific monitor. There's a tremendous
    difference in LCD vs. CRT and similarly within the groups (one CRT to
    another).

    Your best bet is to study graphic design - at least in terms of color
    selection. Choose colors that work based on those principles. Preview
    on an many hardware devices as you reasonable can and adjust as
    needed, then hope for the best on the thousands of other hardware
    platforms.

    If it bothers you... just think how the companies who've spent tens,
    or hundreds of thousands of dollars choosing a "brand" feel when the
    minute Pantone choices they debated for hours and then copyrighted in
    the "print-only" days get thrown out the window with on-line design
    issues.

    still just me, May 8, 2008
  7. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Good morning,
    >
    > I developed a very straight forward html page using dreamweaver. I
    > spent hours (I'm learning) to get the layout and colors just right.
    > Now that I have put it in place, a couple user commented on the
    > colors. When I saw the page on there PCs the colors are completly
    > different from that which appears on my laptop. Why is there a
    > difference and how can I set it up so what I develop is actually what
    > the person at the other end will see as well?

    Was the difference greater with the site you developed than most other
    sites?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 8, 2008
  8. Art Guest

    On 5/8/08 8:10 AM, wrote:

    > Good morning,
    >
    > I developed a very straight forward html page using dreamweaver. I
    > spent hours (I'm learning) to get the layout and colors just right.
    > Now that I have put it in place, a couple user commented on the
    > colors. When I saw the page on there PCs the colors are completly
    > different from that which appears on my laptop. Why is there a
    > difference and how can I set it up so what I develop is actually what
    > the person at the other end will see as well?
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > QB

    QB,
    As others have noted in this thread, getting identical color (or colour)
    reproduction on a wide range of potential target systems for a wide
    range of humanoids is a challenging exercise and in many instances just
    not achievable.

    A prudent approach is to pick complementary colors that provide
    acceptable contrast. Also, avoid subtle pastels (especially for text)
    that tend to wash out on less than high end monitors. Awareness of your
    target audience and any potential visual limitations will be helpful as
    well in the process.

    There's an online tool that will assist you in these decisions at:

    http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

    The tool has selections to approximate how specific colors are perceived
    based on a number of color perception limitations.

    There are also some downloadable tools at:

    http://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrast-analyser.html

    for both Mac and PC.

    These tools will not necessarily get you to your goal of identical color
    reproduction, but with the right choices, can produce acceptable results.

    HTH,
    Art

    Art, May 8, 2008