COM interface to the Python interpreter

Christian Knoblauch

Hello all,

under Win32 it is possible to use Python as a scripting language inside ASP
pages (win32lib package), so there must be a COM interface to the Python
interpreter.

I like to use this interface instead of writing my own COM server to invoke
Python scripts from COM aware languages, unfortunately i can not find the
type-library for this interface.

Can one provide this information (perhaps with an litle example) ?

Thanks in advance !

By,
Christian

Paul Rudin

Christian" == Christian Knoblauch said:
> Hello all, under Win32 it is possible to use Python as a
> scripting language inside ASP pages (win32lib package), so there
> must be a COM interface to the Python interpreter.

> I like to use this interface instead of writing my own COM
> server to invoke Python scripts from COM aware languages,
> unfortunately i can not find the type-library for this
> interface.

I think there's a possible misconception floating around here... the
libary code to support the implementation of com servers in python is
not of itself a com server and hence has no type library.
> Can one provide this information (perhaps with an litle example)
> ?

There is code for a "hello world" com server in the win32com
documentation - see
<http://www.python.org/windows/win32com/QuickStartServerCom.html>. There
are a couple of other examples in site-packages/win32com/demos
(assuming you've installed the win32com stuff).

Achim Domma

Hi Christian,
under Win32 it is possible to use Python as a scripting language inside ASP
pages (win32lib package), so there must be a COM interface to the Python
interpreter.

I like to use this interface instead of writing my own COM server to invoke
Python scripts from COM aware languages, unfortunately i can not find the
type-library for this interface.

I think you are mixing something. To be available as scripting language
inside ASP, there has to be a special interface, but it's not a 'simple'
IDispatch based interface. You can look at the documentation of the Windows
Scripting Host on how to use it in your own apps. Then you can automate your
App with all installed scripting languages.
If you would give us more details about what you want to do, one could
answer more helpfully.

regards,
Achim