ComboBox design-time DataBinding setting questions.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dbuchanan, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. dbuchanan

    dbuchanan Guest

    These setting mystify me for these reasons.

    *SelectedItem* - Help says that 'SelectedItem' gets or sets the
    currently selected item in the combobox.

    *SelectedValue* - Help says that 'SelectedValue' gets or sets the value
    of the member property specified by the ValueMember property.

    *ValueMember* - Help says that the 'ValueMember' Gets or sets the
    property to use as the actual value for the items in the ListControl.

    The above three properties are described as results of runtime events!
    What are they doing in the properties section of the ComboBox?????

    How do I use them to sync a databound combobox on a form with the
    current bound row on the form?

    Please help me understand how to use these settings?

    Thank you,
    dbuchanan

    dbuchanan, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Hi,

    The combobox is a control (as any listcontrol as the listbox by the way)
    which can be used in more ways. One of those is that it can be used with an
    array as a simple control and it can be used as a complex data bound
    control. However that is not intermixed it is just one of those ways. Which
    means as well that they can work completely different by instance with
    events.

    In the simple format you have the SelectedItem in the complex dataformat you
    use by instance the SelectedValue (for the valuemember) or the SelectedText
    for the displaymember.

    I hope this helps a little bit,

    cor

    Cor Ligthert [MVP], Feb 1, 2006

  3. dbuchanan

    dbuchanan Guest

    Cor,

    > I hope this helps a little bit,

    No, it didn't address my questions.

    Read my questions again.

    dbuchanan

    dbuchanan, Feb 1, 2006
  4. >
    > The above three properties are described as results of runtime events!

    They are not, it are just properties as any other property from which
    forever the result can be depending from another property, however it has
    nothing to do with an event. As every property can they be used in an event.

    > What are they doing in the properties section of the ComboBox?????

    See previous answer

    > How do I use them to sync a databound combobox on a form with the
    > current bound row on the form?

    That is standard if they have the same datasource.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert [MVP], Feb 1, 2006