    persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I failed.

    Well, I guess this means those people who post to the defunct groups
    will now have to wallow in their own ignorance.

    Brian McCauley, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Brian McCauley

    Uri Guttman Guest

    BM> groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd tried
    BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
    BM> failed.

    hopefully they still archive and keep searchable the old stuff when it
    was a live group.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Uri Guttman wrote:

    > BM> groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd tried
    > BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
    > BM> failed.
    >
    > hopefully they still archive and keep searchable the old stuff when it
    > was a live group.

    "This group is no longer archived" indicates something else. :(

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Brian McCauley

    Uri Guttman Guest

    BM> groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd
    >> tried

    BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
    BM> failed.
    >> hopefully they still archive and keep searchable the old stuff when
    >> it
    >> was a live group.

    GH> "This group is no longer archived" indicates something else. :(

    that could mean no longer 'actively' archived. i see no reason why they
    won't keep the old posts as it was the only valid perl group in those
    days. i don't think they would delete the group from the archive but
    more likely just stop adding any new posts in the group to the archive.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Brian McCauley

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Uri Guttman" <> wrote in message

    > BM> groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd
    > >> tried

    > BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
    > BM> failed.
    > >> hopefully they still archive and keep searchable the old stuff when
    > >> it
    > >> was a live group.

    > GH> "This group is no longer archived" indicates something else. :(
    >
    > that could mean no longer 'actively' archived. i see no reason why they
    > won't keep the old posts as it was the only valid perl group in those
    > days. i don't think they would delete the group from the archive but
    > more likely just stop adding any new posts in the group to the archive.

    I suspect you are right. A quick search came up with postings going back to
    1990. You no longer have the option of searching only in comp.lang.perl,
    though (although I'm not sure if this was ever available). All that appears
    is the ability to restrict your searches to comp.lang.perl.* (and entering
    comp.lang.perl in the advanced form doesn't work either).

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Sep 22, 2004
  6. On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:25:48 -0400, Matt Garrish wrote:

    > "Uri Guttman" <> wrote in message

    >> BM> groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd

    >> BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
    >> BM> failed.

    >> GH> "This group is no longer archived" indicates something else. :(
    >>
    >> that could mean no longer 'actively' archived. i see no reason why they
    >> won't keep the old posts as it was the only valid perl group in those
    >> days. i don't think they would delete the group from the archive but
    >> more likely just stop adding any new posts in the group to the archive.
    >>

    > I suspect you are right. A quick search came up with postings going back to
    > 1990. You no longer have the option of searching only in comp.lang.perl,
    > though (although I'm not sure if this was ever available). All that appears
    > is the ability to restrict your searches to comp.lang.perl.* (and entering
    > comp.lang.perl in the advanced form doesn't work either).
    >
    > Matt

    comp.lang.perl is still available on Google Groups 2
    (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl) with the ability to
    search and even subscribe or post new articles. Although there is no
    notice stating the group is no longer archived, new articles do not appear
    to be available.

    Rob Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Sep 23, 2004