comp.lang.perl no longer on groups.google.com

Brian McCauley

groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd tried to
persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I failed.

Well, I guess this means those people who post to the defunct groups
will now have to wallow in their own ignorance.

Uri Guttman

BM> groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd tried
BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
BM> failed.

hopefully they still archive and keep searchable the old stuff when it
was a live group.

uri

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Uri said:
BM> groups.google.com has finally dropped comp.lang.perl. I'd tried
BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
BM> failed.

hopefully they still archive and keep searchable the old stuff when it
was a live group.

"This group is no longer archived" indicates something else. :(

Uri Guttman

BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
BM> failed.
GH> "This group is no longer archived" indicates something else. :(

that could mean no longer 'actively' archived. i see no reason why they
won't keep the old posts as it was the only valid perl group in those
days. i don't think they would delete the group from the archive but
more likely just stop adding any new posts in the group to the archive.

uri

Matt Garrish

Uri Guttman said:
BM> to persuade them to keep it but to include a prominant warning. I
BM> failed.

GH> "This group is no longer archived" indicates something else. :(

that could mean no longer 'actively' archived. i see no reason why they
won't keep the old posts as it was the only valid perl group in those
days. i don't think they would delete the group from the archive but
more likely just stop adding any new posts in the group to the archive.

I suspect you are right. A quick search came up with postings going back to
1990. You no longer have the option of searching only in comp.lang.perl,
though (although I'm not sure if this was ever available). All that appears
is the ability to restrict your searches to comp.lang.perl.* (and entering
comp.lang.perl in the advanced form doesn't work either).

Matt

Robert Gamble

I suspect you are right. A quick search came up with postings going back to
1990. You no longer have the option of searching only in comp.lang.perl,
though (although I'm not sure if this was ever available). All that appears
is the ability to restrict your searches to comp.lang.perl.* (and entering
comp.lang.perl in the advanced form doesn't work either).

Matt

comp.lang.perl is still available on Google Groups 2
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl) with the ability to
search and even subscribe or post new articles. Although there is no
notice stating the group is no longer archived, new articles do not appear
to be available.

Rob Gamble