Comparing elements from one hashset to another

Hendrik Maryns

Roedy Green

For the retainAll method, a list of fruits that had been entered
individually as strings were used. My code hoever uses info from files
that are read into the program. Im having trouble modifying my code to
work around this, can you help??

The only difference will be how you get the words from the files into
the HashSets.. How you do that depends on the format of the files.

Presuming they are simple text files with many words per line and
punctuation, you might use a StreamTokenizer,
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/streamtokenizer.html StringTokenizer
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/stringtokenizern or Regex
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/regex.html split that breaks the words
apart at space or punctuation. You then add each word to HashSet A or
B. If they are one per line, you can read them with a
BufferedReader.readLine and trim.

To read the file for regex, see
http://mindprod.com/applets/fileio.html

If there are duplicates WITHIN a file you will find out from the
boolean returned by HashSet.add.

Remon van Vliet

Just me or did you just ask the same question three times? Anyway, make a
unit test and check if it produces the expected results (which it will).

Remon van Vliet