Comparison? ASP.NET vs good old ASP with C++ COMs?

Tom Kelleher

Folks,

I have a client who will likely be looking at ASP.NET in the near
future. They have an internal developer who is convinced there are
"scalability problems" with ASP.NET. This client has a very large, very
critical, growing ASP app that I built with them in classic ASP, so they
are interested in the benefits of moving up to something better.

I want to convince them to go with ASP.NET -- preferrably VB.NET, but C#
would be fine too. This internal dude wants them to stick with ASP and
rewrite the business code in C++.

I would like to put some hard numbers in front of the client, to show
the higherups that ASP.NET will be the better choice in terms of
performance & scalability. Or if the numbers are just not that
compelling, that's fine; I can argue for all the other ASP.NET benefits
of management, installation, stability, etc.

But for the life of me, I can't find any industry comparison results to
present to this client. I know about the one comparison with the Java
petshop thing, but we're not looking at Java. I want to show him them
the numbers between C++ and ASP.NET (again, either VB.NET or C#).

Links? Suggestions?

- Tom

======================================
Tom Kelleher Consulting, Inc.
Kelleher-[at-]tkelleher.com
908-459-0054 (office)
973-650-0258 (mobile)
======================================

Hermit Dave

read a doc on microsoft a while back which showed performance of classic asp
and asp.net
classic asp with com
asp.net with com
asp.net with .net components
cant seem to find it yet... will look around and post you the link

regards,
Hermit Dave

mikeb

Tom said:
Chris,
Thanks, yes, this is excellent stuff. I'm keeping the link, to help
make the case when the day comes.

This article does a nice job of presenting how good ASP.NET could be in
terms of scalability, etc. for one company. But the comparison here is
between Java and .NET. I need to make the case for .NET versus C++ with
COM+. Anything more you can suggest, would be much appreciated.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/productinfo/benchmarks/MS_OS_Performance_Comparison.pdf

Tom Kelleher

Hermit Dave,
Thanks, yes, that would be perfect. Much luck with your link-hunting!
- Tom

Tom Kelleher