Comparison? ASP.NET vs good old ASP with C++ COMs?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tom Kelleher, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Tom Kelleher

    Tom Kelleher Guest

    Folks,

    I have a client who will likely be looking at ASP.NET in the near
    future. They have an internal developer who is convinced there are
    "scalability problems" with ASP.NET. This client has a very large, very
    critical, growing ASP app that I built with them in classic ASP, so they
    are interested in the benefits of moving up to something better.

    I want to convince them to go with ASP.NET -- preferrably VB.NET, but C#
    would be fine too. This internal dude wants them to stick with ASP and
    rewrite the business code in C++.

    I would like to put some hard numbers in front of the client, to show
    the higherups that ASP.NET will be the better choice in terms of
    performance & scalability. Or if the numbers are just not that
    compelling, that's fine; I can argue for all the other ASP.NET benefits
    of management, installation, stability, etc.

    But for the life of me, I can't find any industry comparison results to
    present to this client. I know about the one comparison with the Java
    petshop thing, but we're not looking at Java. I want to show him them
    the numbers between C++ and ASP.NET (again, either VB.NET or C#).

    Links? Suggestions?

    - Tom

    ======================================
    Tom Kelleher Consulting, Inc.
    Kelleher-[at-]tkelleher.com
    908-459-0054 (office)
    973-650-0258 (mobile)
    ======================================
    Tom Kelleher, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Tom Kelleher

    Hermit Dave Guest

    read a doc on microsoft a while back which showed performance of classic asp
    and asp.net
    classic asp with com
    asp.net with com
    asp.net with .net components
    cant seem to find it yet... will look around and post you the link

    regards,
    Hermit Dave

    Hermit Dave, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Here is a case study:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=11721

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer

    Chris Jackson, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Tom Kelleher

    mikeb Guest

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/productinfo/benchmarks/MS_OS_Performance_Comparison.pdf

    --
    mikeb
    mikeb, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Tom Kelleher

    Hermit Dave Guest

    hey Tom,

    Just found a link on microsoft. its not the one i had seen before but might
    help
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/ws03perfbench.asp

    its a comparison of OS, COM + VB + ASP and .NET

    Hermit Dave, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Tom Kelleher

    Tom Kelleher Guest

    Hermit Dave,
    Thanks, yes, that would be perfect. Much luck with your link-hunting!
    - Tom

    Tom Kelleher, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Tom Kelleher

    Tom Kelleher Guest