[compilation error] debugging this error message "Object() in java.lang.Object cannot be applied to"

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gavin, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Gavin

    Gavin Guest

    Hi,

    I have a class called Device that instantiates another class DbMoney
    in this manner:

    ===
    return new DbMoney( money, hardware.getName() );
    ===

    1) Both are in the same package, i.e. my.IMoney & my.Device

    2) When I compile them, javac complains with the error:

    Object() in java.lang.Object cannot be applied to (my.IMoney,
    java.lang.String)
    return new DbMoney( money, hardware.getName() )
    ^

    Q) My arguments to the DbMoney constructor match that of its declared
    method parameters. So that can't be the problem. What am I doing
    wrong ?

    Gavin

    Gavin, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Re: debugging this error message "Object() in java.lang.Object cannot be applied to"

    On Mar 28, 3:25 pm, "Gavin" <> wrote:
    > Hi,

    G'day. Please note that starting a post's
    subject line with words in '['/']' will cause
    them to be hidden in the the GG groups list.
    I suggest not to do that, so everyone can see
    the entire subject line.

    > I have a class called Device that instantiates another class DbMoney
    > in this manner:

    > return new DbMoney( money, hardware.getName() );

    > Object() in java.lang.Object cannot be applied to (my.IMoney,
    > java.lang.String)
    > return new DbMoney( money, hardware.getName() )
    > ^
    >
    > Q) My arguments to the DbMoney constructor match that of its declared
    > method parameters.

    Do they? Your code snippets do not support
    that, or more accurately, if we had an SSCCE*,
    we could confirm that for ourselves.

    >..So that can't be the problem. What am I doing
    > wrong ?

    I am not sure, but if you supply an
    SSCCE of your current code, that shows
    the same compilation error, I might be
    able to assist further.

    * For more info. on the SSCCE, see..
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.html>

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 28, 2007

  3. Gavin

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > G'day. Please note that starting a post's
    > subject line with words in '['/']' will cause
    > them to be hidden in the the GG groups list.
    > I suggest not to do that, so everyone can see
    > the entire subject line.

    Or better yet. Ignore the entire issue, and whatever way GG happens to be
    broken today. Stick to well-established Usenet conventions. If GG can't get
    its act together then so much the worse for Google, its users, and its
    advertising income.

    I.e. bugger Google.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Gavin

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Gavin wrote:

    > Object() in java.lang.Object cannot be applied to (my.IMoney,
    > java.lang.String)
    > return new DbMoney( money, hardware.getName() )
    > ^

    Andrew's advice to reduce this to an SCCCCE is good, you should follow it.

    But, just as a guess, it sounds as if my.DbMoney has no constructors -- have
    you inadvertently turned your would-be constructor into a normal method by
    giving it a return type ?

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Mar 28, 2007