Compile to exe to hide source code

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Eric Boucher, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Eric Boucher

    Eric Boucher Guest

    Hi,

    I want to hide my source code under Windows, so I tought that compiling
    to an executable file would solve the problem. But I didn't found a way
    to do it with Ruby. I have tried 2 solutions:
    Exerb -- If you read the 'exe' file, you can see the source code directly.
    Ruby2exe -- The complete source is copied temporarily under the %TEMP%
    directory.

    Does somebody have a way to deploy a file while hiding the source code?
    I know that there is a decompiler for a lot of compilers, but I want to
    be able to make it harder for people to see the source code (not as easy
    as looking to a temporary directory or reading directly an 'exe' file).

    Thanks

    --
    Posted with http://DevLists.com. Sign up and save your time!

    Eric Boucher, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Eric Boucher

    zdennis Guest

    zdennis, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Eric Boucher

    Guest

    Will the efforts at making a Ruby VM help here? I understand that Ruby
    2.0 will use bytecode.

    What about the current alternate implementations of Ruby (such as the
    Java based ones, and the VM based ones) - could they help?

    , Mar 30, 2006