    Sun's packages and should just get linked to, not compiled in with
    mine. Any thoughts? Or any alternatives to the JFileChooser class?
    -Will
    Will, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Will

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Will wrote:

    > Ok, silly question but I can't seem to find the answer. If I compile
    > with JDK version 1.3.1_07 can I run my code without problems on a JRE
    > 1.4.2_xx?

    The answer for this specific example should be "yes", but in some cases
    (with a greater gap between versions) there are differences that could
    create problems.

    Why not test your application on each version you intend to support?

    > I think the answer should be yes, but I just want to make
    > sure. I know that some of the JREs behave differently (bug fixes,
    > etc.) but they are still forward/backward compatible, right?

    In general, yes, but it is always prudent to test your application with the
    target versions.

    > My specific problem, should someone already have another fix, is that
    > in 1.3.1_07 the JFileChooser is crippled and annoying compared to the
    > native Windows dialog. It cannot rename folders or files
    > successfully, it cannot jump to the file starting with the same letter
    > you pressed, and the look and feel occassionally hiccups. I'm hoping
    > some or all of these bugs have been corrected in later JREs and that I
    > won't have to recompile my code since the JFileChooser is part of
    > Sun's packages and should just get linked to, not compiled in with
    > mine.

    For this particular example, you really should recompile with a later
    version to see the outcome. And in general, it is a good idea to tell the
    users of your program which Java versions are supported/expected.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com
    Paul Lutus, Sep 2, 2004