Compiling Python 2-3.4 on Tru64 UNIX V4.0F

Heuguette Bostic

I am attempting to compile Python 2-3.4 on Tru64 UNIX V4.0F. Whenever I issue the make command, the following errors are output:

-pthread -ieee -std -Olimit 1500 -DNDEBUG -O -I. -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o Modules/posixmodule.o
cc: Warning: ./Modules/posixmodule.c, line 3007: "return" is an invalid preprocessor directive, and is being ignored. (baddirective)
# return PyInt_FromLong((long)getpgrp(0));
--------^
cc: Error: ./Modules/posixmodule.c, line 3025: Missing ")". (norightparen)
# if (setpgrp(0, 0) < 0)
-------------------^
cc: Warning: ./Modules/posixmodule.c, line 3016: Missing #endif directive. (noendif)
#ifdef HAVE_SETPGRP
-^
cc: Info: ./Include/objimpl.h, line 255: In this declaration, type long double has the same representation as type double on this platform. (longdoublenyi)
long double dummy; /* force worst-case alignment */
--------^
*** Exit 1
Stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me resolve this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

____________________
Confidentiality Notice:
This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately either by phone or reply to this e-mail, and delete all copies of this message.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Heuguette said:
cc: Warning: ./Modules/posixmodule.c, line 3007: "return" is an invalid preprocessor directive
# return PyInt_FromLong((long)getpgrp(0));
--------^ [...]
Does anyone have any suggestions to help me resolve this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

I would start with downloading the original Python source code. Line
3007 of posixmodule.c should not start with a hashmark. Why does it
in your copy?

Regards,
Martin

Unixtrekkor

I downloaded another copy and now when I compile I see the following
message:

cc: Error: ./Modules/posixmodule.c line 3007: In this
statement,"getgrp" expects 0 arguments, but 1 are supplied.
(toomanyargs)
return PyInt_FromLong((long)getgrp(0));
---------^
cc: Error: ./Modules/posixmodule.c line 3024: In this
statement,"setgrp" expects 0 arguments, but 2 are supplied.
(toomanyargs)
if (setgrp(0, 0) < 0)
-------------^
*** Exit 1
Stop.

I am looking for the format of the getgrp and setgrp commands. Thanks
for your help.

Heuguette

?

Unixtrekkor said:
I downloaded another copy and now when I compile I see the following
message:

cc: Error: ./Modules/posixmodule.c line 3007: In this
statement,"getgrp" expects 0 arguments, but 1 are supplied.
(toomanyargs)
return PyInt_FromLong((long)getgrp(0));
---------^
cc: Error: ./Modules/posixmodule.c line 3024: In this
statement,"setgrp" expects 0 arguments, but 2 are supplied.
(toomanyargs)
if (setgrp(0, 0) < 0)
-------------^
*** Exit 1
Stop.

I am looking for the format of the getgrp and setgrp commands. Thanks
for your help.

As a work-around, you could edit pyconfig.h, and remove the
mentioning of HAVE_GETPGRP and HAVE_SETPGRP. Then, these wrappers
won't get compiled.

Regards,
Martin

Unixtrekkor

I made it past the compilation errors by editing pyconfig.h.in. The
setgrp and getgrp module settings were set to undef. Now I see the
following errors:

rm -r /lgyr/library/lib
ar cr /lgyr/library/lib Modules/getbuildinfo.o
ar: Error: /lgyr/library/lib not in archive format
*** Exit 1
Stop

Does anyone know what library should be used? Thanks.

Heuguette

?

Unixtrekkor said:
I made it past the compilation errors by editing pyconfig.h.in. The
setgrp and getgrp module settings were set to undef. Now I see the
following errors:

rm -r /lgyr/library/lib
ar cr /lgyr/library/lib Modules/getbuildinfo.o
ar: Error: /lgyr/library/lib not in archive format
*** Exit 1
Stop

Does anyone know what library should be used?

It appears that for some reason, LIBRARY is set to /lgyr/library/lib
in your Makefile. How did you manage that to happen? Where does the
/lgyr string come from? LIBRARY should be "libpython23.a"

Regards,
Martin