Compiling python scripts to native code ??

Harry George

Fred Mailhot said:
Nothing quite so nefarious...*grin*...Actually, I've just realized that the
initial question wasn't posed properly.

What I want is to be able to compile Python scripts so that they can be run
on a system that doesn't have Python installed. I realize that maybe that
doesn't make a lot of sense, but I want my product to be as widely
distributable as possible.

Thanks again,

Fred.

That makes a lot of sense. Try:

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

Diez B. Roggisch

Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
would be much appreciated.

No, its not. For no platform. You can use psyco for JIT-compiling some
arithmetically challenged stuff, and pyrex to create native code in a
python-like syntax.

Thomas Guettler

Am Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:43:15 -0800 schrieb Fred Mailhot:
Hi...

Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
would be much appreciated.

Why do you want to do this?
- Improve speed
- hide your source code

thomas

Fred Mailhot

Hi...

Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred.

Fred Mailhot

Am Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:43:15 -0800 schrieb Fred Mailhot:

Why do you want to do this?
- Improve speed
- hide your source code

thomas

Nothing quite so nefarious...*grin*...Actually, I've just realized that the
initial question wasn't posed properly.

What I want is to be able to compile Python scripts so that they can be run
on a system that doesn't have Python installed. I realize that maybe that
doesn't make a lot of sense, but I want my product to be as widely
distributable as possible.

Thanks again,

Fred.

Lothar Scholz

Fred Mailhot said:
Nothing quite so nefarious...*grin*...Actually, I've just realized that the
initial question wasn't posed properly.

What I want is to be able to compile Python scripts so that they can be run
on a system that doesn't have Python installed. I realize that maybe that
doesn't make a lot of sense, but I want my product to be as widely
distributable as possible.

Thank the fu**ing Unix developer that there is nothing like this.
Distribution binaries is a pain and not reliable. At the moment you
can do this only on windows plattforms.

Diez B. Roggisch

Thank the fu**ing Unix developer that there is nothing like this.
Distribution binaries is a pain and not reliable. At the moment you
can do this only on windows plattforms.

Yeah, as if distributing binaries on windows is seamless and easy - no idea
why there is a plethora of installation-creation tools like InstallShield
and so on.... Not to mention the various registry-snapshot and rescueing
tools.

apt-get install python2.3

OTH works quite well for me - no idea how these fu**ing unix developers did
that.