Compiling python scripts to native code ??

Discussion in 'Python' started by Harry George, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Harry George

    Harry George Guest

    Fred Mailhot <> writes:

    > On 2/17/04 7:25 AM, "Thomas Guettler" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Am Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:43:15 -0800 schrieb Fred Mailhot:
    > >
    > >> Hi...
    > >>
    > >> Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
    > >> would be much appreciated.

    > > Why do you want to do this?
    > > - Improve speed
    > > - hide your source code
    > >
    > > thomas

    > Nothing quite so nefarious...*grin*...Actually, I've just realized that the
    > initial question wasn't posed properly.
    >
    > What I want is to be able to compile Python scripts so that they can be run
    > on a system that doesn't have Python installed. I realize that maybe that
    > doesn't make a lot of sense, but I want my product to be as widely
    > distributable as possible.
    >

    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Fred.

    That makes a lot of sense. Try:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

    --

    6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
    Phone: (425) 342-0007
    Harry George, Feb 17, 2004

  2. > Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
    > would be much appreciated.

    No, its not. For no platform. You can use psyco for JIT-compiling some
    arithmetically challenged stuff, and pyrex to create native code in a
    python-like syntax.

    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch
    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Am Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:43:15 -0800 schrieb Fred Mailhot:

    > Hi...
    >
    > Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
    > would be much appreciated.

    Why do you want to do this?
    - Improve speed
    - hide your source code

    thomas
    Thomas Guettler, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Harry George

    Fred Mailhot Guest

    Hi...

    Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
    would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Fred.
    Fred Mailhot, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Harry George

    Fred Mailhot Guest

    Fred Mailhot, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Fred Mailhot <> wrote in message news:<BC57B164.10C3B%>...
    > On 2/17/04 7:25 AM, "Thomas Guettler" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Am Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:43:15 -0800 schrieb Fred Mailhot:
    > >
    > >> Hi...
    > >>
    > >> Is there any way to do this for *nix ?? Pointers to resources and/or FAQS
    > >> would be much appreciated.

    > > Why do you want to do this?
    > > - Improve speed
    > > - hide your source code
    > >
    > > thomas

    > Nothing quite so nefarious...*grin*...Actually, I've just realized that the
    > initial question wasn't posed properly.
    >
    > What I want is to be able to compile Python scripts so that they can be run
    > on a system that doesn't have Python installed. I realize that maybe that
    > doesn't make a lot of sense, but I want my product to be as widely
    > distributable as possible.

    Thank the fu**ing Unix developer that there is nothing like this.
    Distribution binaries is a pain and not reliable. At the moment you
    can do this only on windows plattforms.
    Lothar Scholz, Feb 18, 2004

  7. > Thank the fu**ing Unix developer that there is nothing like this.
    > Distribution binaries is a pain and not reliable. At the moment you
    > can do this only on windows plattforms.

    Yeah, as if distributing binaries on windows is seamless and easy - no idea
    why there is a plethora of installation-creation tools like InstallShield
    and so on.... Not to mention the various registry-snapshot and rescueing
    tools.

    apt-get install python2.3

    OTH works quite well for me - no idea how these fu**ing unix developers did
    that.

    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch