Compiling python without garbage collector

Boris Boutillier

Is there a not too hackish way to compile Python without the garbage
collector overhead ?

Setting Py_TP_FLAGS_HAVE_GC to 0 in Include/object.h is not working and
the configure flag has disappear.

The gc overhead in all objects (3 words) is not invisible in memory, and
exceeds the true gain of the gc in my application, so I was looking for a
way to benchmark the two situation ( with and without gc overhead), is
this possible ?

Boris

Michael Hudson

Boris Boutillier said:
Is there a not too hackish way to compile Python without the garbage
collector overhead ?

No, in short. The difficulties are in the trashcan mechanism that
safely deallocates deeply nested structures, so maybe if you disable
*that* as well...

Cheers,
mwh