Compiling PythonD using DJGPP

John Simeon

Hi there. I had an old computer at my disposal and decided to put it to use
by setting up a nostalgia project with DOS and Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

Now that all of you are back from laughing about the archaicness of the
software involved ;-) here is my problem.

PythonD is a port of python to DOS. The release used is 2.4.2. I am trying
to compile PythonD using DJGPP, which is a port of GCC to DOS.

My problem is that I am getting a compiler error that I do not understand:

gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include
-DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/compile.o Python/compile.c
Python/compile.c: In function 'optimize_code':
Python/compile.c:512: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
signedness
Python/compile.c: At top level:
Python/compile.c:1038: error: two or more data types in declaration
specifiers
Python/compile.c:1232: error: two or more data types in declaration
specifiers
Python/compile.c: In function 'com_addbyte':
Python/compile.c:1232: error: parameter name omitted
Python/compile.c:1241: error: expected expression before 'unsigned'
make.exe: *** [Python/compile.o] Error 1

Does anyone have any ideas that could help shed some light on this and help
me get back on track?

Thanks!

memracom

Hi there. I had an old computer at my disposal and decided to put it to use
by setting up a nostalgia project with DOS and Windows for Workgroups 3.11.
gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include
-DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/compile.o Python/compile.c
Python/compile.c: In function 'optimize_code':
Python/compile.c:512: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
signedness

This sounds like you are running into problems with C library memory
models on DOS. I.e. LARGE, MEDIUM, SMALL, TINY. Different memory
models use different pointer lengths and presumably, this might result
in the wrong bit being interpreted as a sign bit.

However, before you dig into that, try turning off the optimizations
( -O3 ) because this can be the cause of wierd errors. If this does
work, turn on optimization one level at a time to see how far you can
go.

And if this leads nowhere, then you probably are dealing with a DOS or
DJGPP specific issue. Ask people who work with DJGPP for advice.

Good Luck,

--Michael Dillon

-Lost

John Simeon's response:
[...]

You realize this is not a Python question right? Or rather, it is not an
error specific to Python. It is an error related to a specific compiler,
and more specifically a non-standard implementation of Python.

You'd have much better luck following the advice of the author of PythonD
and and taking this question to [ news:comp.os.msdos.djgpp ].