compiling service ?

sterten

I often see scientific programs for Linux written in C which come with
several files,
are "zipped" with gzip and packked as .tar , they contain a "makefile"
and several
instructions (and incompatibilities for several compilers).

In theory, you can create a Windows-executable but in practice this
rarely works
or requires too much time and energy.

So, I wonder : is there some service, who provides this compiling
maybe even against payment ?

Would it be legal to collect and provide Windows-executables for such
free
scientific programs ?

Michael K.

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
I often see scientific programs for Linux written in C which come with
several files,
are "zipped" with gzip and packked as .tar , they contain a "makefile"
and several
instructions (and incompatibilities for several compilers).

In theory, you can create a Windows-executable but in practice this
rarely works
or requires too much time and energy.

So, I wonder : is there some service, who provides this compiling
maybe even against payment ?

Would it be legal to collect and provide Windows-executables for such
free
scientific programs ?

Just try Cygwin (google: cygwin)

MeiK

goose

I often see scientific programs for Linux written in C which come with
several files,
are "zipped" with gzip and packked as .tar , they contain a "makefile"
and several
instructions (and incompatibilities for several compilers).

In theory, you can create a Windows-executable but in practice this
rarely works

It works just fine for programs that advertise themselves
as working under windows.
or requires too much time and energy.

If it has not been ported to windows, I would imagine so.
So, I wonder : is there some service, who provides this compiling
maybe even against payment ?

I'd be glad to do so, for payment.
Would it be legal to collect and provide Windows-executables for such
free
scientific programs ?

A) It would depend on the licence of the program in question
(i.e. legal for GCL, probably illegal for any closed code).
I am curious why you think that all programs have a single
licence?
B) This is offtopic here, why not ask the authors of the
scientific program or ask in a windows development
newsgroup?

goose,