    parse the xml and then put it into a database? What database should I
    use? What parser should I use? Where do I begin????????

    Thanks to all replies

    Buttercup, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Buttercup

    strajan Guest

    First you have to decide what you want to do with the data and then ask how
    to do that in this forum.

    XSL is a simple way to extract data from xml.

    Here is a link to oracle and xml:
    http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/learner.html

    All the Best.

    strajan, Sep 18, 2003

  3. [ (Buttercup)]
    > I have never used xml before and while I have found lots of tutorials
    > and help on the structure of xml and the theory behind it, I can find
    > nothing on how to actually implement it. I want to accept an xml feed
    > from a major tour operator, this will mean ALOT of data. Do I need to
    > parse the xml and then put it into a database? What database should I
    > use? What parser should I use? Where do I begin????????

    If you want to do anything with xml except reading or printing it in
    its raw form, you have to parse it.

    To do the parsing W3C (www.w3c.org) recommends DOM or SAX, and they
    are both methodologies and a contrived way of doing it. But every
    decent programming langauge supports both. DOM puts everything in a
    datastructure (or object structure) in the programming language of
    your choice. This means you will run out of memory if that takes up
    over 512MB (your computer memory). The SAX approach is based on
    "events". First you have to tell the SAX parser what you are
    interested in. A SAX parser then reads the XML and if it sees a
    pattern you are interested in it calls the accompanying function (or
    class method) you specified.

    About databases: why don't you just use the XML as a database?
    Storage space is really cheap these days. Databases are good for
    solving multiple access and concurrency issues, do you have those
    issues?

    If your boss is not telling you you *have* to use an oldfashioned
    statically typed language like Java or C# or C++ or Basic etc. then
    you can do what I do: use Python, use the pyRXP parser, enjoy the
    speed and the freedom.

    --
    If you are over 80 years old and accompanied
    by your parents, we will cash your check.

    Will Stuyvesant, Sep 21, 2003