Component that don't resize

stereat

Hi,

i'm writing a new component, that would show a recatangle with the same
size of the component. The matter is that, when i use the component
alone, all works right. When i use with other components the custom
component don't resize. What can be the problem? How can i solve it? I
need to add a component listener to my component?
I write the component's code extending a JPanel and overwriting the
paintComponent method. Here's the code of method:

<code>

super.paintComponent(g);

Insets insets = this.getInsets();
int currentWidth = this.getWidth() - insets.left - insets.right;
int currentHeight = this.getHeight() - insets.top - insets.bottom;

g.drawRect(insets.left, insets.top, currentWidth-1,
currentHeight-1);
}
</code>

Roedy Green

i'm writing a new component, that would show a recatangle with the same
size of the component. The matter is that, when i use the component
alone, all works right. When i use with other components the custom
component don't resize. What can be the problem? How can i solve it? I
need to add a component listener to my component?
I write the component's code extending a JPanel and

your component had better implement getMinumSize getMaximumSize and
GetPreferredSize. The ones your inheriting may be pretty lame.

You can do it with the shortcut setMinimumSize etc. Make sure you set
all three.

The layout manager will call these methods, decide on your size, and
call setSize to tell you how big to be.

Each time you paint you should check to see what your current size is.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

stereat

But more in general, what i need to do, to build a custom component
that works like others components respect to resizing, repositioning,
ecc?