Compressing Images before Upload

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by news, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. news

    news Guest

    Does anyone know how I can compress images from an asp.net app on the client
    before they are sent to the server. I can compress them once they are on the
    server fine with GDI+ functions etc but when I try any code to not have the
    whole image sent to the server first it won't work and I can see the image
    is sent. The reason I want to do this is the web based app will always be
    using smaller sized pictures and the camera is creating lareg pictures
    locally of over a meg (don't want to later camera settings) and I just want
    to compress them with GDI+ and then send so that it can be done quickly. At
    the moment I have to send the whole file and then compress which takes too
    long. I would ideally like to have some solution from asp.net so that no
    external client software needs to be used/written (may have to bit the
    bullet on this ?)

    I'm not really up to speed in this area so any help or suggestions would be
    gratefully apprectiated..

    Regards

    Gavin Bryan

    news, Jun 21, 2005

  2. news

    bradley Guest

    There is no HTML or JavaScript feature to compress images or write to the
    local file system. Therefore, the solution would need to involve a client
    side component like an ActiveX control or Java applet. What you need is a
    webcam hosting component to run in the browser?

    bradley, Jun 21, 2005

  3. news

    news Guest

    Thanks for the reply Bradley

    Yes I think I may need to look at an active-x or java control. It is for a
    content managed web site for cars and they will be uploading pcitures from a
    digital camera to their PC and my sofware then attaches the images that they
    select to the car record that they set-up and I want it to compress and
    re-size automatically and then send to the server. It will be rolled out to
    different sites and different cameras are going to have different images
    sizes and most will be too large to send to the server and then compress. I
    want to try and have everything driven from the site and be generic so I
    think it will need to look at an active-x control or java app.

    Thanks

    news, Jun 21, 2005