Concurrent requests - driving me insane!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ipmccun@hotmail.com, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello all:

    Perhaps someone can shed some light on this: I'm trying to create a
    situation, while debugging, where a long running request (sleeps for
    15s) and a short running request execute concurrently. Right now, no
    matter what I do, it seems that they execute serially. I've verified
    (by watching netstat) that two simultaneous connections are being made
    to the server, so I'm sure this isnt the standard IE "only two
    connections to the same server" issue.

    Here are the two things I'm left with: 1) Is this some limitation of
    the IIS on XP Pro? Will it only service one request at a time? or 2)
    is there some condition associated with debugging (i.e. having VS.NET
    attached to the aspnet_wp.exe process) that makes these requests
    execute serially?

    This is driving me fricken nuts! Thanks for any input.
    Ian

    , Jun 9, 2005

    I remember something similar a while back hapening to my code. I forgot the
    cause but it was a resource that was getting locked.

    Can you post some source code that isolates the problem? I think when seeing
    it in action in will come to mind again.

    Cheers,
    Tom pester

    > Hello all:
    >
    > Perhaps someone can shed some light on this: I'm trying to create a
    > situation, while debugging, where a long running request (sleeps for
    > 15s) and a short running request execute concurrently. Right now, no
    > matter what I do, it seems that they execute serially. I've verified
    > (by watching netstat) that two simultaneous connections are being made
    > to the server, so I'm sure this isnt the standard IE "only two
    > connections to the same server" issue.
    >
    > Here are the two things I'm left with: 1) Is this some limitation of
    > the IIS on XP Pro? Will it only service one request at a time? or 2)
    > is there some condition associated with debugging (i.e. having VS.NET
    > attached to the aspnet_wp.exe process) that makes these requests
    > execute serially?
    >
    > This is driving me fricken nuts! Thanks for any input. Ian

    , Jun 9, 2005

    Don't I feel like a dumbass; it was completely obvious once you put
    that notion in my head. Both requests were demanding R/W access to the
    session state. Changing them to read only fixed the problem. Thanks,
    Tom.

    Ian

    , Jun 9, 2005