ConcurrentModificationException in single-threaded context

Lew

Got a weird CME when doing Map.puts or Map.gets on a private HashMap
which gets accessed by a SINGLE thread. I also never extract iterators
from the Map.. I only do put() and get().. yet sometimes I get
ConcurrentModificationException. Toggling the Map between Hashtable,
HashMap or WeakHashMap implementations makes no difference whatsoever.

Black magic, or am I being dense?

--
Lew

"The greatest calamity which could befall us
would be submission to a government of unlimited power."

--- Thomas Jefferson.

laurens.vanhels

Got a weird CME when doing Map.puts or Map.gets on a private HashMap
which gets accessed by a SINGLE thread. I also never extract iterators
from the Map.. I only do put() and get().. yet sometimes I get
ConcurrentModificationException. Toggling the Map between Hashtable,
HashMap or WeakHashMap implementations makes no difference whatsoever.

Black magic, or am I being dense?

Lew

Got a weird CME when doing Map.puts or Map.gets on a private HashMap
which gets accessed by a SINGLE thread. I also never extract iterators
from the Map.. I only do put() and get().. yet sometimes I get
ConcurrentModificationException. Toggling the Map between Hashtable,
HashMap or WeakHashMap implementations makes no difference whatsoever.

Black magic, or am I being dense?

<http://pscode.org/sscce.html>

Mike Schilling

Eric said:
Got a weird CME when doing Map.puts or Map.gets on a private
HashMap
which gets accessed by a SINGLE thread. I also never extract
iterators from the Map.. I only do put() and get().. yet sometimes
get ConcurrentModificationException. Toggling the Map between
Hashtable, HashMap or WeakHashMap implementations makes no
difference whatsoever. Black magic, or am I being dense?

Meaning no insult, I suspect the latter.

You say you "never extract iterators," but I bet you do without
realizing it. Note that the `for (Thing t : things)' loop is really
just shorthand for

for (Iterator<Thing> it = things.iterator(); it.hasNext(); ) {
Thing t = it.next();

so you may be using Iterators even if the string "Iterator" never
shows up in your source code.

From your description, I suspect `things' is either the keySet()
or entrySet() of the Map. If the "..." code executes put() on the
Map (or modifies the Map in any other way), the Iterator will
throw[*]
ConcurrentModificationException at the next hasNext() call.

[*] "Will very probably throw," really. See the Javadoc.

In a single thread, the behavior should be deterministic.

Mike Schilling

Eric said:
Mike said:
Eric said:
[...]
From your description, I suspect `things' is either the
keySet()
or entrySet() of the Map. If the "..." code executes put() on the
Map (or modifies the Map in any other way), the Iterator will
throw[*]
ConcurrentModificationException at the next hasNext() call.

[*] "Will very probably throw," really. See the Javadoc.

In a single thread, the behavior should be deterministic.

If you're sure, file an RFE. ;-)

To support it, exhibit concrete implementations that "work"
in all single-threaded situations, *including* those where forty-
two independent Iterators at forty-two independent positions are
simultaneously traversing the same HashMap.keySet() at the moment
when a new key/value pair is inserted and causes a re-hash ...
Repeat the exercise for all other collection classes ...

It's very simple: all 42 will throw CMEs when next accessed. The
implementation is quite simple. The underlying map has a "number of
modifications" counter that it increments whenever it's modified, e.g.
when a new key is added. Each iterator makes a copy of that number
when it's created. Whenever the iterator is accessed and its
modification count doesn't match the map's, it throws a CME. In a
single-threaded environment, this works perfectly. The weasel-wording
in the Javadoc about "will probably throw" is to cover multi-threaded
cases; since the accesses to the two modification counts are not
synchronized, it's possible that a change to them made in one thread
won't yet be visible in another.

Mike Schilling

Eric said:
Mike said:
Eric said:
Mike Schilling wrote:
Eric Sosman wrote:
[...]
From your description, I suspect `things' is either the
keySet()
or entrySet() of the Map. If the "..." code executes put() on
the
Map (or modifies the Map in any other way), the Iterator will
throw[*]
ConcurrentModificationException at the next hasNext() call.

[*] "Will very probably throw," really. See the Javadoc.
In a single thread, the behavior should be deterministic.
If you're sure, file an RFE. ;-)

To support it, exhibit concrete implementations that "work"
in all single-threaded situations, *including* those where forty-
two independent Iterators at forty-two independent positions are
simultaneously traversing the same HashMap.keySet() at the moment
when a new key/value pair is inserted and causes a re-hash ...
Repeat the exercise for all other collection classes ...

It's very simple: all 42 will throw CMEs when next accessed.

Ah! Sorry; I had misunderstood what you meant by
"deterministic," and thought you imagined all the Iterators
could somehow take the Map modifications in stride and keep
on iterating. My apologies for mis-reading.

No worries.

Daniel Pitts

Got a weird CME when doing Map.puts or Map.gets on a private HashMap
which gets accessed by a SINGLE thread. I also never extract iterators
from the Map.. I only do put() and get().. yet sometimes I get
ConcurrentModificationException. Toggling the Map between Hashtable,
HashMap or WeakHashMap implementations makes no difference whatsoever.

Black magic, or am I being dense?
Its hard to tell without looking at the code and stackdump. What line is
the exception on?

BTW, using the for-each syntax is equivalent to using iterators.

GlycogenSupporthealth