configure: WARNING: term.h: present but cannot be compiled

Discussion in 'Python' started by Joshua S., Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Joshua S.

    Joshua S. Guest

    I am trying to install python-2.3 on my AIX 5.1.0.0 box. Everytime I
    try to run the configure script I ge the following error.
    ../configure --without-cxx --with-gcc --disable-ipv6
    checking term.h usability... no
    checking term.h presence... yes
    configure: WARNING: term.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: term.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: term.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    checking for term.h... yes

    When I look in config.log I see a whole bunch of different errors:

    conftest.c:2: parse error before `me'
    configure:2405: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    #ifndef __cplusplus
    choke me
    #endif

    configure:2582: gcc -E conftest.c
    configure:2578: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
    configure:2588: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    #line 2577 "configure"
    #include "confdefs.h"
    #include <ac_nonexistent.h>
    configure:2625: result: gcc -E
    configure:2640: gcc -E conftest.c
    configure:2646: $? = 0
    configure:2673: gcc -E conftest.c
    configure:2669: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
    configure:2679: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    #line 2668 "configure"
    #include "confdefs.h"
    #include <ac_nonexistent.h>

    configure:2898: checking for stdint.h
    configure:2911: gcc -c -g -O2 conftest.c >&5
    configure:2939: stdint.h: No such file or directory
    configure:2914: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    #line 2903 "configure"
    #include "confdefs.h"
    #include <stdio.h>
    #if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
    # include <sys/types.h>
    #endif
    #if HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
    # include <sys/stat.h>
    #endif
    #if STDC_HEADERS
    # include <stdlib.h>
    # include <stddef.h>
    #else
    # if HAVE_STDLIB_H
    # include <stdlib.h>
    # endif
    #endif
    #if HAVE_STRING_H
    # if !STDC_HEADERS && HAVE_MEMORY_H
    # include <memory.h>
    # endif
    # include <string.h>
    #endif
    #if HAVE_STRINGS_H
    # include <strings.h>
    #endif
    #if HAVE_INTTYPES_H
    # include <inttypes.h>
    #else
    # if HAVE_STDINT_H
    # include <stdint.h>
    # endif
    #endif
    #if HAVE_UNISTD_H
    # include <unistd.h>
    #endif

    #include <stdint.h>

    There are many more all following the same formats, but I am totally
    at a loss. When I try the make command it fails after a couple of
    minutes so I am guessing that the term.h file not compiling is causing
    complications. If anyone could point me in the right direction I
    would be very greatful! --Josh

    Joshua S., Aug 21, 2003

  2. On 21 Aug 2003 09:58:27 -0700, rumours say that (Joshua
    S.) might have written:

    >I am trying to install python-2.3 on my AIX 5.1.0.0 box. Everytime I
    >try to run the configure script I ge the following error.
    >./configure --without-cxx --with-gcc --disable-ipv6
    >checking term.h usability... no
    >checking term.h presence... yes
    >configure: WARNING: term.h: present but cannot be compiled
    >configure: WARNING: term.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    >configure: WARNING: term.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    >checking for term.h... yes

    SGI IRIX has similar problems (and can't compile termios extension)... I
    believe termios stuff is not that standardised.
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,

    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Joshua S.

    Joshua S. Guest

    > SGI IRIX has similar problems (and can't compile termios extension)... I
    > believe termios stuff is not that standardised.

    hmmm.. I don't suppose you know of anyway to wok around that??

    I just installed gcc-3.3.1 because I have heard rumors that
    gcc-2.95.2, our current version, is rather buggy and it was also built
    before the release of AIX-5.1.

    Also, I just noticed that there is an entry
    checking getaddrinfo bug.....buggy
    as well when I run configure. Could this maybe have anything to do
    with it?

    Joshua S., Aug 22, 2003
  4. On 22 Aug 2003 09:57:08 -0700, rumours say that (Joshua
    S.) might have written:

    >> SGI IRIX has similar problems (and can't compile termios extension)... I
    >> believe termios stuff is not that standardised.

    >hmmm.. I don't suppose you know of anyway to wok around that??

    Sorry, no, I haven't had any use for termios so far, and I'm currently
    working on making socketmodule.c compile OK without my having to add a
    few constants by hand each time... the configure script enables various
    POSIX defines for Irix, and these constants are not part of POSIX.

    If I ever look into termios, I'll post a patch to SF, which might (or
    not) help you :(

    >I just installed gcc-3.3.1 because I have heard rumors that
    >gcc-2.95.2, our current version, is rather buggy and it was also built
    >before the release of AIX-5.1.

    Sorry again, gcc produces slower code than MIPSPro on MIPS processors,
    so I don't compile python with it.

    >Also, I just noticed that there is an entry
    >checking getaddrinfo bug.....buggy
    >as well when I run configure. Could this maybe have anything to do
    >with it?

    Wouldn't know.
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,

    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Aug 22, 2003