    Do i need to use MinGW then?

    Thanks for hints,
    Torsten.

    Torsten Mohr, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Torsten Mohr

    Sisyphus Guest

    Torsten Mohr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i'd like to compile Perl on WIN32, i already did that by
    > using the supplied Makefile for "nmake" and it went fine.
    >
    > But i'd like to pass some additional parameters to the
    > compile process.
    >
    > Is there a way to pass some more parameters to "configure"
    > on WIN32?
    >
    > Do i need to use MinGW then?

    Have you ruled out Cygwin for this ? Strikes me that it's probably your
    best chance of success. See 'README.cygwin' in the perl source distro.

    If you're committed to native Win32, and thinking of starting with
    './configure', then look at using the Mingw compiler in an MSYS shell -
    but I don't fancy your chances with this approach.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Torsten Mohr

    Chris Guest

    Torsten Mohr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i'd like to compile Perl on WIN32, i already did that by
    > using the supplied Makefile for "nmake" and it went fine.
    >
    > But i'd like to pass some additional parameters to the
    > compile process.

    Is there some reason you've chosen to eliminate ActiveState Perl as a
    choice for Win32 Perl? As hopeless as the Windows platform is, at least
    THAT package does provide more than reasonable service to Win32 users.
    It's "free," complete, powerful and pain-free to install... I'd go so
    far as to say it's the de facto Perl standard on Win32 platforms.

    Chris
    -----
    Chris Olive
    chris -at- --___--___-- technologEase -dot- com
    http://www.technologEase.com
    (pronounced "technologies")

    Chris, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Torsten Mohr

    Torsten Mohr Guest

    >> But i'd like to pass some additional parameters to the
    >> compile process.
    >>

    > Is there some reason you've chosen to eliminate ActiveState Perl as a
    > choice for Win32 Perl?

    Yes, and you already quoted it. I want to pass additional parameters
    to the build process to build a STATIC version of libperl. I want
    to link my own programs against it to execute internal scripts.

    I already did this for libperl58.dll, but i don't want the dependency on
    the external dll.

    Best regards,
    Torsten.

    Torsten Mohr, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Torsten Mohr

    Torsten Mohr Guest

    >> Is there a way to pass some more parameters to "configure"
    >> on WIN32?
    >>
    >> Do i need to use MinGW then?
    >>

    > Have you ruled out Cygwin for this ? Strikes me that it's probably your
    > best chance of success. See 'README.cygwin' in the perl source distro.
    >
    > If you're committed to native Win32, and thinking of starting with
    > './configure', then look at using the Mingw compiler in an MSYS shell -
    > but I don't fancy your chances with this approach.

    Thanks for that hint, but it didn't really bring me any further.
    "Configure -d -Uusedl" starts fine, asks for the C library, continues
    and at some point doesn't find some functions and then doesn't write
    a Makefile.  No way to continue...

    Any other ideas?

    I'd like pure native Win32, but i at least tried cygwin.  Configure
    stops quite early there.

    Best regards,
    Torsten.

    Torsten Mohr, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Torsten Mohr

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Torsten Mohr <> wrote:
    > >> Is there a way to pass some more parameters to "configure"
    > >> on WIN32?
    > >>
    > >> Do i need to use MinGW then?

    > > Have you ruled out Cygwin for this ? Strikes me that it's probably your
    > > best chance of success. See 'README.cygwin' in the perl source distro.
    > >
    > > If you're committed to native Win32, and thinking of starting with
    > > './configure', then look at using the Mingw compiler in an MSYS shell -
    > > but I don't fancy your chances with this approach.

    > Thanks for that hint, but it didn't really bring me any further.
    > "Configure -d -Uusedl" starts fine, asks for the C library, continues
    > and at some point doesn't find some functions and then doesn't write
    > a Makefile.  No way to continue...
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    README.win32 (you *have* read it?) says you need to use dmake and the
    makefile in win32/. Looking at it, you should (maybe) be able to get a
    static build by unpacking the extensions you need under ext/ and then
    changing the definition of STATIC_EXT in makefile.mk to include them
    all. DYNAMIC_EXT should be empty.

    NB: I've no idea if this will work.... :)

    Ben

    --
    The cosmos, at best, is like a rubbish heap scattered at random.
    - Heraclitus

    Ben Morrow, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Torsten Mohr

    Torsten Mohr Guest

    Hi,

    > README.win32 (you *have* read it?) says you need to use dmake and the
    > makefile in win32/. Looking at it, you should (maybe) be able to get a
    > static build by unpacking the extensions you need under ext/ and then
    > changing the definition of STATIC_EXT in makefile.mk to include them
    > all. DYNAMIC_EXT should be empty.

    thanks for that hint. Yes, i have read README.win32, but i skipped
    makefile.mk as it didn't work with nmake. I'll get dmake and try...

    Best regards,
    Torsten.

    Torsten Mohr, Feb 17, 2004
  8. Torsten Mohr

    Torsten Mohr Guest

    Hi,

    >> README.win32 (you *have* read it?) says you need to use dmake and the
    >> makefile in win32/. Looking at it, you should (maybe) be able to get a
    >> static build by unpacking the extensions you need under ext/ and then
    >> changing the definition of STATIC_EXT in makefile.mk to include them
    >> all. DYNAMIC_EXT should be empty.

    just today i've tried.

    Using "dmake" works fine, but i think i should somehow define that
    i don't want to generate a DLL, just a LIB.

    I don't know if this can be done with changes only in the Makefile,
    i think that every code for a DLL also needs to contain "DllMain",
    correct?

    So just changing the Makefile to generate a LIB instead of a DLL
    won't work, correct?

    I also need to tell XS and other tools to generate code that compiles
    for a LIB? How can i do that?

    I also need to call the xs_init() of all the modules that are linked
    into the LIB? Do i need to do this manually or is there a better way?

    Thanks for hints,
    Torsten.

    Torsten Mohr, Feb 18, 2004
  9. Torsten Mohr

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Torsten Mohr <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > > I (Ben Morrow) wrote:
    > >> README.win32 (you *have* read it?) says you need to use dmake and the
    > >> makefile in win32/. Looking at it, you should (maybe) be able to get a
    > >> static build by unpacking the extensions you need under ext/ and then
    > >> changing the definition of STATIC_EXT in makefile.mk to include them
    > >> all. DYNAMIC_EXT should be empty.

    > just today i've tried.
    >
    > Using "dmake" works fine, but i think i should somehow define that
    > i don't want to generate a DLL, just a LIB.

    This is what STATIC_EXT should do for you.

    > I also need to tell XS and other tools to generate code that compiles
    > for a LIB? How can i do that?

    Everything gets its info from the perl binary it uses, also from its
    Config.pm. If both those are correct, you should be fine (assuming
    static builds work on Win32 at all).

    > I also need to call the xs_init() of all the modules that are linked
    > into the LIB? Do i need to do this manually or is there a better way?

    See ExtUtils::Embed.

    Ben

    --
    don't get my sympathy hanging out the 15th floor. you've changed the locks 3
    times, he still comes reeling though the door, and soon he'll get to you, teach

    Ben Morrow, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Torsten Mohr

    Torsten Mohr Guest

    Hi,

    thanks for the hints.

    >> Using "dmake" works fine, but i think i should somehow define that
    >> i don't want to generate a DLL, just a LIB.

    > This is what STATIC_EXT should do for you.

    It didn't, I still get a LIB file of 2xx kB and a DLL of 7xx kB.
    I looked through the makefile.mk, but didn't yet succeed to
    find the necessary changes.
    I think i'll try to just change the option "-dll" to "-lib", but
    i'd really wonder if that would succeed.

    >> I also need to tell XS and other tools to generate code that compiles
    >> for a LIB? How can i do that?

    > Everything gets its info from the perl binary it uses, also from its
    > Config.pm. If both those are correct, you should be fine (assuming
    > static builds work on Win32 at all).

    So i'll try to remove dynamic loading in the configuration, hope that
    works.

    > See ExtUtils::Embed.

    Looks really useful.

    Thanks for those hints,