Configuring CGI timeouts

harini.gopi

Hi,

I have a CGI script wrapped as an exe running on IIS 6.0. It needs to
parse a 31MB file located on a NFS and redirect the output to another
CGI script for plotting. It works fine when the file size (that needs
to be parsed) is smaller but for larger files it just ends abruptly
without further processing. I understand that this could be because
the connection timeout for CGI scripts on IIS 6.0 is set to 300 s. But
there is no GUI in the IIS properties to edit the same. Can someone
guide me to edit the metabase file (IIS 6.0) for increasing the
connection timeout ?Also is this the right approach? Would there be an
alternate way to prevent the timeout from happening without having to
modify the IIS setting?
I should also add that the script executes fine when it is not
converted to an exe (conversion done via perl2exe) i.e when it remains
a stand alone ".pl" program. Does the wrapping into an exe cause any
other overhead that it forces a timeout?

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Harini

harini.gopi

Here _IS_ the tool from M$ ;-) I have Czech version of Windows so the names
could be little inaccurate ;-)
Start
Setup
Control Panels
Administration tools (control tools?)
Internet Information Service

Go to "Default Web Server" and select "Propreties from menu "Action". Here
you can change timeout.
--

Petr Vileta, Czech republic
(My server rejects all messages from Yahoo and Hotmail. Send me your mail

Apparantly there is no direct way to edit CGI timeouts in IIS 6.0 as
it involves the modification of the metabase.xml file. However IIS 6.0
resource kit(available from Microsoft downloads) has a utility that
lets configure the timeouts via a GUI instead of having to open the
same on a notepad. Increasing the timeout did solve the issue.

Harini