Congratulations Randal

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Amer Neely, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. Amer Neely

    Amer Neely Guest

    From a recent SANS NewsBites March 6, 2007 Vol. 9, Num. 19

    --Man Who Hacked Intel has Judgment Set Aside - 12 Years Later
    (March 2 & 3, 2007)
    A man who once worked for Intel has succeeded in having his arrest and
    conviction for computer crimes set aside nearly 12 years after the fact.
    In February 2007, an Oregon court expunged Randal L. Schwartz's
    conviction; his legal record is now clean. Schwartz was arrested in
    1993 for using a program to discover former Intel colleagues' passwords;
    Schwartz had transferred out of one section of Intel under
    less-than-happy circumstances and, working as a system administrator,
    he intended to demonstrate that security had deteriorated since he left
    his original organization. Following his 1995 conviction, Schwartz was
    sentenced to five years of probation, 480 hours of community service and
    90 days deferred jail time.
    http://news.com.com/2102-7350_3-6164113.html?tag=st.util.print

    --
    Amer Neely
    w: www.softouch.on.ca/

    Amer Neely, Mar 7, 2007

  2. Amer Neely

    Justin C Guest

    On 2007-03-07, Amer Neely <> wrote:
    > From a recent SANS NewsBites March 6, 2007 Vol. 9, Num. 19
    >
    > --Man Who Hacked Intel has Judgment Set Aside - 12 Years Later
    > (March 2 & 3, 2007)
    > A man who once worked for Intel has succeeded in having his arrest and
    > conviction for computer crimes set aside nearly 12 years after the fact.
    > In February 2007, an Oregon court expunged Randal L. Schwartz's
    > conviction; his legal record is now clean. Schwartz was arrested in
    > 1993 for using a program to discover former Intel colleagues' passwords;
    > Schwartz had transferred out of one section of Intel under
    > less-than-happy circumstances and, working as a system administrator,
    > he intended to demonstrate that security had deteriorated since he left
    > his original organization. Following his 1995 conviction, Schwartz was
    > sentenced to five years of probation, 480 hours of community service and
    > 90 days deferred jail time.
    > http://news.com.com/2102-7350_3-6164113.html?tag=st.util.print

    You mean my most read, most useful book is co-written by a convicted
    felon?!

    Damn, I must burn it when I get to work tomorrow... overturned? Phew,
    that's OK then.

    When the law stops being a complete donkey, please wake me up.

    Justin.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.

    Justin C, Mar 7, 2007

  3. >>>>> "Justin" == Justin C <> writes:

    Justin> You mean my most read, most useful book is co-written by a convicted
    Justin> felon?!

    Not any more. I'm an ex-ex-con. One more ex, and I can't make it through
    mail filters. :)

    Randal L. Schwartz, Mar 7, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

    > Justin> You mean my most read, most useful book is co-written by a convicted
    > Justin> felon?!
    >
    > Not any more. I'm an ex-ex-con. One more ex, and I can't make it through
    > mail filters. :)

    When the judge expunged your conviction, he didn't, by chance order that
    you be reimbursed for your legal expenses? Or perhaps the prosecutor
    and judge on the case should pay your expenses out of their own pockets?

    Michael Vilain, Mar 7, 2007
  5. >>>>> "Michael" == Michael Vilain <> writes:

    Michael> When the judge expunged your conviction, he didn't, by chance order
    Michael> that you be reimbursed for your legal expenses? Or perhaps the
    Michael> prosecutor and judge on the case should pay your expenses out of
    Michael> their own pockets?

    Expungement means only that the records have been sealed. This was more
    of a technical operation than any sort of statement about the justification
    of the original conviction. As in, it is really simply a cap on the
    punishment I receive - not "felon for life" but "felon for 10 years".

    Randal L. Schwartz, Mar 7, 2007