Congratulations Randal

Amer Neely

From a recent SANS NewsBites March 6, 2007 Vol. 9, Num. 19

--Man Who Hacked Intel has Judgment Set Aside - 12 Years Later
(March 2 & 3, 2007)
A man who once worked for Intel has succeeded in having his arrest and
conviction for computer crimes set aside nearly 12 years after the fact.
In February 2007, an Oregon court expunged Randal L. Schwartz's
conviction; his legal record is now clean. Schwartz was arrested in
1993 for using a program to discover former Intel colleagues' passwords;
Schwartz had transferred out of one section of Intel under
less-than-happy circumstances and, working as a system administrator,
he intended to demonstrate that security had deteriorated since he left
his original organization. Following his 1995 conviction, Schwartz was
sentenced to five years of probation, 480 hours of community service and
90 days deferred jail time.
http://news.com.com/2102-7350_3-6164113.html?tag=st.util.print

--
Amer Neely
w: www.softouch.on.ca/

Justin C

From a recent SANS NewsBites March 6, 2007 Vol. 9, Num. 19

[...]

You mean my most read, most useful book is co-written by a convicted
felon?!

Damn, I must burn it when I get to work tomorrow... overturned? Phew,
that's OK then.

When the law stops being a complete donkey, please wake me up.

Justin.

Randal L. Schwartz

Justin> You mean my most read, most useful book is co-written by a convicted
Justin> felon?!

Not any more. I'm an ex-ex-con. One more ex, and I can't make it through
mail filters. :)

Michael Vilain

Justin> You mean my most read, most useful book is co-written by a convicted
Justin> felon?!

Not any more. I'm an ex-ex-con. One more ex, and I can't make it through
mail filters. :)[/QUOTE]

When the judge expunged your conviction, he didn't, by chance order that
you be reimbursed for your legal expenses? Or perhaps the prosecutor
and judge on the case should pay your expenses out of their own pockets?

Randal L. Schwartz

Michael> When the judge expunged your conviction, he didn't, by chance order
Michael> that you be reimbursed for your legal expenses? Or perhaps the
Michael> prosecutor and judge on the case should pay your expenses out of
Michael> their own pockets?

Expungement means only that the records have been sealed. This was more
of a technical operation than any sort of statement about the justification
of the original conviction. As in, it is really simply a cap on the
punishment I receive - not "felon for life" but "felon for 10 years".