    sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
    only by a network cable.

    Any help would be GREAT!

    Alex, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Alex

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 24 Jun 2004 14:07:26 -0700, (Alex) wrote or quoted
    :

    >I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
    >computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
    >to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
    >sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
    >only by a network cable.

    Surely you can find decent off the shelf software that creates a LAN
    style link using that network cable. You don't have to reinvent the
    wheel. Windows 2000 has a built in scheme. Go into Control Panel |
    Network. Then create a new connection. Don't be frightened about the
    telephone questions. Humour it. Then create a direct connection host
    or guest.

    Once you have that LAN link, you can talk to the other machine via
    files with odd names containing the server, fake remapped remote
    drives, or via URLs.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/uri.html
    and http://mindprod.com/fileio.html

    You can transfer files on the same machine, the same LAN or over the
    net. See http://mindprod.com/products.html#FILETRANSFER

    For resynching, to keep one machine up to date with the other, there
    are special laptop resynch tools so you don't have to send all the
    files.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Alex

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:25:22 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >For resynching, to keep one machine up to date with the other, there
    >are special laptop resynch tools so you don't have to send all the
    >files.

    The Replicator also does this, but in is more for broadcasting changes
    to others on the net.

    see http://mindprod.com/zips/java/replicator.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Alex

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 24 Jun 2004 14:07:26 -0700, (Alex) wrote or quoted
    :

    >I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
    >computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
    >to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
    >sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
    >only by a network cable.

    I presumed you meant a serial cable. You can build a tiny ethernet
    LAN cheaply with two $15 ethernet cards and a 6 foot crossover 10 base
    T cable. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cables.html#TENBASET

    It is so cheap and so fast there is no point is horsing around with
    serial cables unless there is no way to squeeze in an ethernet card.

    Setting up the LAN is pretty easy. Win2K pretty well does it
    automatically once you insert the cards, connect the two and power up.

    You want to make sure your TCP/IP is configured. You can manually
    assign each an IP if DHCP won't work. Give each machine a unique name
    and a common workgroup name. Basically you do everything by poking
    around in the menus in the control panel on networking just following
    your nose.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ip.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  5. "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > On 24 Jun 2004 14:07:26 -0700, (Alex) wrote or quoted
    > :
    >
    > >I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
    > >computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
    > >to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
    > >sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
    > >only by a network cable.

    > I presumed you meant a serial cable. You can build a tiny ethernet
    > LAN cheaply with two $15 ethernet cards and a 6 foot crossover 10 base
    > T cable. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cables.html#TENBASET
    >
    > It is so cheap and so fast there is no point is horsing around with
    > serial cables unless there is no way to squeeze in an ethernet card.

    It's even easier to use 2 USB ethernet adapters, still only $15, you don't
    have to open the machine and you can reuse the adapters later when you're
    done. It's best if you're using Win98 or better for this. The performance
    benefits for file moving of 10BaseT vs. serial alone make it worth the cost.

    Cheers,
    Matt Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/

    Matt Humphrey, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Alex

    Liz Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message
    > I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
    > computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
    > to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
    > sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
    > only by a network cable.
    >
    > Any help would be GREAT!

    What is the real requirement? Is it to move files and someone thinks this
    is fast and cheap? You can use one of those USB thumb drives.

    Liz, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Alex

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:04:04 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    see http://mindprod.com/bgloss/thumbdrive.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Alex

    Yu SONG Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > I need to write a java program to transfer files between two
    > computers connected directly by a network cable. I've written code
    > to transfer files between two computers on a network, but I'm not
    > sure how to create a connection between only two computers connected
    > only by a network cable.
    >
    > Any help would be GREAT!

    The Java program depends on which communication protocol you are using...

    --
    Song

    /* E-mail.c */
    #define User "Yu.Song"