connecting VS.NET to IIS-what do I have to do

M D

Using the first version of VisualStudio.NET and, I believe, IIS 5 (the
one that comes with Server 2000) when I launch the ASP.NET application
wizard and DON'T want to use localhost, what do I do? The process just
errors or goes into a process that never completes or times out. I
don't have a domain just a workgroup with Windows networking. I have a
drive mapped to the server's wwwroot and can access, read & write there
so there must be some higher level of security/setup that I need to take
care of.

BTW, is there any way to change the project name from "WebApplication1"
or what ever it's set to?

thx
md

Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\)

Hi M.D.
when I launch the ASP.NET application wizard and DON'T want to
use localhost, what do I do?

Just type the Servername and applicationpath for your new webapplication
like http://www.microsoft.com/myFirstWebApp/
The process just errors or goes into a process that never completes
or times out. I don't have a domain just a workgroup with Windows
networking.
To create a WebApplictaion you MUST BE LOGGED ON WITH AN
ACCOUNT THAT IS IN THE GROUP "VS DEVELOPERS" (created by VS.NET setup).
So that is a problem if ya don't run a domain. What you can do is to create
a VirtualDirectory manually on the server and then connect to it with
VS.NET.

But there are a few other problems that you'll have to deal with.

"You can only debug ASP.NET if you are Administrator or own the SEDebug
Privileg."

This points to the domain issue again and you have to install
RemoteComponents of
VS.NET on the server to...

I surgest, no i advise you to develop on localhost, after you finished copy
things to the server.
If you work in a team use VisualSourcSafe, CSV or something else to share a
project.
You can also create a script that gets the current version of your projects
out of the SourcSafe
database and copies them to your webserver every day...
BTW, is there any way to change the project name from "WebApplication1"
or what ever it's set to?

Just rename the VirtualDirectory, rename the *.csproj and edit the *.csproj
and *.csproj.webinfo to fix the paths

Hope this helps