    or what ever it's set to?

    thx
    md

    M D, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Hi M.D.

    > when I launch the ASP.NET application wizard and DON'T want to
    > use localhost, what do I do?

    Just type the Servername and applicationpath for your new webapplication
    like http://www.microsoft.com/myFirstWebApp/

    > The process just errors or goes into a process that never completes
    > or times out. I don't have a domain just a workgroup with Windows
    > networking.

    To create a WebApplictaion you MUST BE LOGGED ON WITH AN
    ACCOUNT THAT IS IN THE GROUP "VS DEVELOPERS" (created by VS.NET setup).
    So that is a problem if ya don't run a domain. What you can do is to create
    a VirtualDirectory manually on the server and then connect to it with
    VS.NET.

    But there are a few other problems that you'll have to deal with.

    "You can only debug ASP.NET if you are Administrator or own the SEDebug
    Privileg."

    This points to the domain issue again and you have to install
    RemoteComponents of
    VS.NET on the server to...

    I surgest, no i advise you to develop on localhost, after you finished copy
    things to the server.
    If you work in a team use VisualSourcSafe, CSV or something else to share a
    project.
    You can also create a script that gets the current version of your projects
    out of the SourcSafe
    database and copies them to your webserver every day...

    > BTW, is there any way to change the project name from "WebApplication1"
    > or what ever it's set to?

    Just rename the VirtualDirectory, rename the *.csproj and edit the *.csproj
    and *.csproj.webinfo to fix the paths

    Hope this helps
    --
    Daniel Fisher(lennybacon)
    MCP ASP.NET C#
    Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\), Dec 10, 2004