Connection Timeout IIS

Charlotte

Hi,

the connection timeout in my IIS (webserver in a LAN) is now 600
(600 seconds = 10 minutes)

I want to set the connectiontimeout to 3600 (1 hour)
or
may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)

is this advisable ?

Anthony Jones

Charlotte said:
Hi,

the connection timeout in my IIS (webserver in a LAN) is now 600
(600 seconds = 10 minutes)

I want to set the connectiontimeout to 3600 (1 hour)
or
may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)

is this advisable ?

No. The timeout refers to the length of inactivity on a connection, why
would you want to maintain a connection that is inactive for a full 10 hours
or even a whole hour?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Charlotte said:
Hi,

the connection timeout in my IIS (webserver in a LAN) is now 600
(600 seconds = 10 minutes)

I want to set the connectiontimeout to 3600 (1 hour)
or
may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)

is this advisable ?

Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this and let us know
specifically which timeout property you are talking about.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html

Charlotte said:
Hi,

the connection timeout in my IIS (webserver in a LAN) is now 600
(600 seconds = 10 minutes)

I want to set the connectiontimeout to 3600 (1 hour)
or
may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)

is this advisable ?

Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html
and let us know
specifically which timeout property you are talking about.

As to whether it is advisable, I cannot think of a situation where I
would want to increase a timeout to 10 hours ... any timeout.

Charlotte

Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html
and let us know specifically which timeout property you are talking about.

we've got an admin-page (password-protected - ASP + MDB)
when the user is logged in to do his admin-work

but when he's doing nothing for a period of time
and then after .... minutes, he will do some work again
the script tell's him to login again

witch "time" do i have to increase ?

(sorry for my english)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Charlotte said:
we've got an admin-page (password-protected - ASP + MDB)
when the user is logged in to do his admin-work

but when he's doing nothing for a period of time
and then after .... minutes, he will do some work again
the script tell's him to login again

witch "time" do i have to increase ?
I can only guess. It depends on how the application code is establishing
and maintaining the login period.

If the application code is using Session ID to determine if a user is
signed on or not, then it's Session timeout you need to be looking at.
You definitely do not want to be allowing sessions to be opened for too
long because each session consumes resources on your web server.

In a LAN environment, I'm not sure why you are making your users sign
in. Why not use Windows Authentication and shut off Anonymous access.
This will not solve the problem with sessions timing out but it will
make things a little less annoying for your users.