    or
    may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)

    is this advisable ?

    Charlotte, Jan 4, 2008

  2. "Charlotte" <> wrote in message
    news:rQffj.10812$-ops.be...

    > Hi,
    >
    > the connection timeout in my IIS (webserver in a LAN) is now 600
    > (600 seconds = 10 minutes)
    >
    > I want to set the connectiontimeout to 3600 (1 hour)
    > or
    > may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)
    >
    > is this advisable ?

    No. The timeout refers to the length of inactivity on a connection, why
    would you want to maintain a connection that is inactive for a full 10 hours
    or even a whole hour?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Charlotte wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > the connection timeout in my IIS (webserver in a LAN) is now 600
    > (600 seconds = 10 minutes)
    >
    > I want to set the connectiontimeout to 3600 (1 hour)
    > or
    > may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)
    >
    > is this advisable ?

    Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this and let us know
    specifically which timeout property you are talking about.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 4, 2008

    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 4, 2008
  5. Charlotte wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > the connection timeout in my IIS (webserver in a LAN) is now 600
    > (600 seconds = 10 minutes)
    >
    > I want to set the connectiontimeout to 3600 (1 hour)
    > or
    > may I set the timeout for 36000 seconds ? (10 hours)
    >
    > is this advisable ?

    Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html
    and let us know
    specifically which timeout property you are talking about.

    As to whether it is advisable, I cannot think of a situation where I
    would want to increase a timeout to 10 hours ... any timeout.
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 4, 2008
  6. Charlotte

    Charlotte Guest

    > Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this
    > http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html
    > and let us know specifically which timeout property you are talking about.

    we've got an admin-page (password-protected - ASP + MDB)
    when the user is logged in to do his admin-work

    but when he's doing nothing for a period of time
    and then after .... minutes, he will do some work again
    the script tell's him to login again

    witch "time" do i have to increase ?

    (sorry for my english)

    Charlotte, Jan 4, 2008
  7. Charlotte wrote:
    >> Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this

    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html
    >> and let us know specifically which timeout property you are talking
    >> about.

    > we've got an admin-page (password-protected - ASP + MDB)
    > when the user is logged in to do his admin-work
    >
    > but when he's doing nothing for a period of time
    > and then after .... minutes, he will do some work again
    > the script tell's him to login again
    >
    > witch "time" do i have to increase ?

    I can only guess. It depends on how the application code is establishing
    and maintaining the login period.

    If the application code is using Session ID to determine if a user is
    signed on or not, then it's Session timeout you need to be looking at.
    You definitely do not want to be allowing sessions to be opened for too
    long because each session consumes resources on your web server.

    In a LAN environment, I'm not sure why you are making your users sign
    in. Why not use Windows Authentication and shut off Anonymous access.
    This will not solve the problem with sessions timing out but it will
    make things a little less annoying for your users.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 4, 2008
  8. Charlotte wrote:
    >> Are you talking about Session timeout? Please read this

    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html
    >> and let us know specifically which timeout property you are talking
    >> about.

    > we've got an admin-page (password-protected - ASP + MDB)
    > when the user is logged in to do his admin-work
    >
    > but when he's doing nothing for a period of time
    > and then after .... minutes, he will do some work again
    > the script tell's him to login again
    >
    > witch "time" do i have to increase ?

    This article may also be helpful:
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-warn-people-when-their-session-is-about-to-expire.html