Console Windows disappeared

Roedy Green

The console window for Jave Web Start apps just disappeared. It is
turned on in the Java console. Any idea what could cause this?

Roedy Green

Does the tray icon still show? You should be able to open the console
through its context menu.

IIRC, showing a tray icon is also an option.

The bloody thing disappeared for about an hour, then just as
mysteriously reappeared.

David Segall

Roedy Green said:
The bloody thing disappeared for about an hour, then just as
mysteriously reappeared.
This must be part of the "desktop metaphor". It is a very common
phenomenon and often happens with spectacles and car keys. I firmly
believe that these objects move into the future and can only be seen
when your time catches up with them and they appear on your desktop
exactly where you know you looked twenty minutes ago. While many
people scoff at the theory it does save a lot of fruitless searching.
My equivalent for the virtual desktop is to turn the computer off and
on again but I guess you tried that.

Roedy Green

. While many
people scoff at the theory it does save a lot of fruitless searching.
My equivalent for the virtual desktop is to turn the computer off and
on again but I guess you tried that.

I think the problem is too much complexity. You have code written by
dozens of people who have never met much less talked over the various
interactions. It is a miracle it works at all.