constant-expression

Dan Smithers

What constitutes a constant-expression? I know that it is something that
can be determined at compile time.

I am trying to use template code and keep getting compiler errors
"error: cannot appear in a constant-expression"

template <int s>
class CFoo
{
private:
int m_val;
};

struct SParams
{
const int m_sz;
SParams(int sz) : m_sz(sz) {;}
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
CFoo<2> foo;

const int sz(2);
CFoo<sz> foo2;

int sz2(3);
CFoo<sz2> foo3;

const SParams params(4);
CFoo<params.m_sz> foo4;
}

When I compile this code I get the following output.

dwhs1@triton:~/test$ g++ -o template template.cpp
template.cpp:22: error: ‘sz2’ cannot appear in a constant-expression
template.cpp:22: error: template argument 1 is invalid
template.cpp:22: error: invalid type in declaration before ‘;’ token
template.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
template.cpp:25: error: ‘params’ cannot appear in a constant-expression
template.cpp:25: error: `.' cannot appear in a constant-expression
template.cpp:25: error: template argument 1 is invalid
template.cpp:25: error: invalid type in declaration before ‘;’ token

I understand that in line 22 I am using a local variable that is not
const, but on line 25 there is a const member of a const structure.

What's going on here?

thanks

dan

terminator

[...]

constant exp and const object are different matters.the former is
usually refered to as literal or internally-linked value while the
second is called a read-only object.
A const object is that which is constructed at run-time and constant
since construction until destruction.
A constant exp is a value determined at compile-time.

regards,
FM.

James Kanze

[...]

I might add that in C++, a const object of integral type *can*
be used in a constant expression, but only if its initializers
are visible and constant expressions.