Constant.t fails 240 of 272 tests and recurs.t fails 1 of 25 tests on HPUX using perl 5.8.7

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by dayo, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. dayo

    dayo Guest

    I am new to perl and am tasked with compiling and installing 5.8.7.
    When running make test I see failures associated Constant.t , recurs.t
    and 510_ping_upd.t

    I am not concerned about the 510_ping_upd.t as other notes say I can
    ignore this,
    but I would like to resolve the failures for Constant.t and recurs.t

    It may be that I am not telling the perl about a library it needs, but
    I don't know how to tell what the tests are or why they are failing.

    Can somebody tell me how to review the actual tests and failure reason?

    Does anybody recognize whether a particular library or other parameter
    might be missing from my configuration?
    Lastly, being new to perl I'm not sure if maybe its ok just to igore
    these failures - though I think I shouldn't because the INSTALL and
    README files told me of other errors I might expect under certain
    circumstances but said nothing of these - can I ignore this?

    The summary report form ./perl harness
    Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed
    List of Failed
    .../lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant.t 272 240 88.24%
    33-272
    .../lib/ExtUtils/t/recurs.t 1 256 25 1 4.00%
    14
    .../lib/Net/Ping/t/510_ping_udp.t 2 1 50.00%
    2

    Site configuration information for perl v5.8.7:

    Configured by oracle at Wed Dec 7 11:06:45 CST 2005.

    Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 7) configuration:
    Platform:
    osname=hpux, osvers=11.11, archname=PA-RISC2.0-LP64
    uname='hp-ux dx10host b.11.11 u 9000800 180404600 unlimited-user
    license '
    config_args='-Duselargefiles -Duse64bitall
    -Dman3dir=/u80/dba_workarea/perltest/5.8.7/man/man3'
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
    usemultiplicity=undef
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=define use64bitall=define uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
    Compiler:
    cc='cc', ccflags =' -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings +DD64
    -I/opt/local/include +DD64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
    ',
    optimize='+O2 +Onolimit',
    cppflags='-Aa -D__STDC_EXT__ -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE
    -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings +DD64 -I/opt/local/include +DD64'
    ccversion='B.11.11.04', gccversion='', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=87654321
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
    ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
    lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=8, prototype=define
    Linker and Libraries:
    ld='/usr/bin/ld', ldflags =' +DD64 -L/opt/local/lib -L/lib/pa20_64'
    libpth=/opt/local/lib /lib/pa20_64 /lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
    libs=-lnsl -lnm -ldl -ldld -lm -lsec -lc
    perllibs=-lnsl -lnm -ldl -ldld -lm -lsec -lc
    libc=/usr/lib/pa20_64/libc.sl, so=sl, useshrplib=false,
    libperl=libperl.a
    gnulibc_version=''
    Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_hpux.xs, dlext=sl, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E
    -Wl,-B,deferred '
    cccdlflags='+Z', lddlflags='-b +vnocompatwarnings -L/opt/local/lib
    -L/lib/pa20_64'

    Locally applied patches:

    ---
    @INC for perl v5.8.7:
    lib
    /u80/dba_workarea/my587dest/lib/perl5/5.8.7/PA-RISC2.0-LP64
    /u80/dba_workarea/my587dest/lib/perl5/5.8.7

    /u80/dba_workarea/my587dest/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/PA-RISC2.0-LP64
    dayo, Dec 8, 2005

  2. dayo

    Anno Siegel Guest

    dayo <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > I am new to perl and am tasked with compiling and installing 5.8.7.
    > When running make test I see failures associated Constant.t , recurs.t
    > and 510_ping_upd.t

    You shouldn't see the test failures you're seeing, except possibly
    the ping_udp failure (not ping_upd). What procedure are you using to
    compile perl? Did you accept all defaults during ./Configure? After
    ../Configure -des, 5.8.7 should compile out of the box on any recent
    HP-UX. A few warnings during compilation are okay, but not massive
    amounts. Test failures that aren't mentioned in a nearby readme are
    a reason not to install.

    [details snipped, nothing blatant there]

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Dec 8, 2005

  3. dayo

    dayo Guest

    Anno Siegel wrote:
    What procedure are you using to compile perl?
    Did you accept all defaults during ./Configure?

    I ran Configure interactively but supplied the command shown here when
    invoking it...
    sh Configure -Duselargefiles -Duse64bitall
    -Dman3dir=/u80/dba_workarea/perltest/5.8.7/man/man3

    I did not accept all the defaults.

    I had to specify the location of my C library
    Where is your C library? [/lib/pa20_64/libc.sl]
    /usr/lib/pa20_64/libc.sl

    And I provided an installation prefix
    Installation prefix to use? (~name ok) [/opt/perl5]
    /u80/dba_workarea/my587dest

    While Configure was running I also got 4 WHOA there messages for which
    I accepted the default at that time:

    The recommended value for $d_fpclassify on this machine was
    "define"!
    The recommended value for $d_isfinite on this machine was "define"!
    The recommended value for $d_isinf on this machine was "define"!
    The recommended value for $d_unordered on this machine was
    "define"!

    To all of the above I hit enter at Keep the recommended value?
    [y]

    I will try accepting all of the defaults except for "Installation
    prefix to use?" to see if the test failures are fixed.
    dayo, Dec 8, 2005
  4. dayo

    dayo Guest

    I continue to have this issue.
    I have tried compliling with all of the default options and the results
    are the same.
    I have downloaded perl 5.8.5 and compiled with the default options and
    with options I felt more appropriate and the results are the same.
    Constant.t tests almost all fail.

    Can somebody tell me how to see what each failing test is and how I can
    run the failing tests individually to try to further understand the
    issue?
    dayo, Dec 9, 2005
  5. dayo

    Anno Siegel Guest

    dayo <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > I continue to have this issue.
    > I have tried compliling with all of the default options and the results
    > are the same.
    > I have downloaded perl 5.8.5 and compiled with the default options and
    > with options I felt more appropriate and the results are the same.
    > Constant.t tests almost all fail.

    Something must be unusual about your system. I don't have HP-UX around
    anywhere, but it's mainstream Unix -- perl should compile.

    > Can somebody tell me how to see what each failing test is and how I can
    > run the failing tests individually to try to further understand the
    > issue?

    In the build directory:

    setenv $X `pwd`
    cd lib/ExtUtils/t
    $X/perl -I$X Constant.t

    This runs the tests in Constant.t directly.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Dec 10, 2005
  6. dayo

    dayo Guest

    I was able to run Constant.t as described thanks for that info...

    In looking at all of the modules in the $X/lib/ExtUtils/t directory I
    see that all the test scripts have all got #!/usr/bin/perl hard coded
    at the top of them.
    An earlier version of perl is installed in the /usr/bin/ directory (
    version 5.8.0 ) so I presumed that might be my problem with the tests.

    I edited all of the scripts in $X/lib/ExtUtils/t to point at $X/perl
    (I did not code $X but the actual path).
    When I made this change Constant.t succeeded on the first 32 tests and
    failed on test 33, prior to this point it was failing on test #3.

    Are there other places I should look to determine if any components for
    the tests being run are pointing at /usr/bin/perl?
    dayo, Dec 13, 2005
  7. dayo

    dayo Guest

    I ran Constant.t 8 times in succession over a few minutes using $X/perl
    -I$X Constant.t

    Instead of repeatedly failing at the same place, I found that the test
    which could change each time I ran despite no other changes to my
    setup. All of the failures were very similar indicating the
    Makefile.PL is 0 second(s) older than Makefile. Any suggestions?

    1st execution failed on test 33
    2nd execution failed on test 103
    3rd on 3
    4th thru 6th on 33
    7th on 229
    and 8th execution failed test 66

    each failure produced a message similar to the following message:

    # Makefile.PL is 0 second(s) older than Makefile
    # make = 'make'

    Stop.
    not ok 229 # make failed: 256
    # Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
    # Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
    # make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1 || /bin/sh -c true
    # /u80/dba_workarea/perltest/perl-5.8.7/perl Makefile.PL
    # Checking if your kit is complete...
    # Looks good
    # Writing Makefile for ExtTest
    # ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
    # ==> Please rerun the make command. <==
    # false
    # *** Error exit code 1
    # ext-5097 being removed...
    dayo, Dec 15, 2005
  8. dayo

    dayo Guest

    I have now found on the web what seems to be an idenitcle match to what
    I am seeing with sporadic failures of tests in constant.t.
    Even the failing test numbers match mine.

    I don't understand though what SMOKE is?
    Is this saying there is a patch ( 23856 ) I can download to resolve
    this issue?
    Does somebody know how I get that patch?

    Re: Smoke [5.8.6] 23856 FAIL(XF) hp-ux 11.11/64 (PA-2.0/32/1 cpu)

    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/perl/porters/189857?do=post_view_threaded#189857
    dayo, Dec 15, 2005
    dayo
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > I ran Constant.t 8 times in succession over a few minutes using $X/perl
    > -I$X Constant.t

    First of all, you need -I $X/lib

    Second, you need to do this earlier.

    env PERL5LIB=$X/lib $X/perl Makefile.PL
    env PERL5LIB=$X/lib make
    env PERL5LIB=$X/lib make test

    Do not forget to run

    make clean

    before resetting the Perl version.

    Hope htis helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Dec 16, 2005
  10. dayo

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > dayo
    > <>], who wrote in article
    > <>:
    > > I ran Constant.t 8 times in succession over a few minutes using $X/perl
    > > -I$X Constant.t

    > First of all, you need -I $X/lib

    Oh yes, my mistake (in an earlier posting). "-I $X" is useless, pardon
    the misinformation.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Dec 16, 2005
  11. dayo

    dayo Guest

    Actually I got the same results using

    setenv $X `pwd`
    cd lib/ExtUtils/t
    $X/perl -I$X Constant.t

    As I got using alternate syntax you suggested.
    In any case, I have been able to run Constant.t tests multiple times
    and I found a SMOKE patch (though I don't know what SMOKE is) that is
    addressing an identicle scenario. I issued a different reply in this
    thread yesterday asking about this patch.

    Thanks for your advice on how to run the tests.

    dayo, Dec 16, 2005
    dayo
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > each failure produced a message similar to the following message:
    >
    > # Makefile.PL is 0 second(s) older than Makefile
    > # make = 'make'
    >
    > Stop.
    > not ok 229 # make failed: 256
    > # Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
    > # Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
    > # make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1 || /bin/sh -c true
    > # /u80/dba_workarea/perltest/perl-5.8.7/perl Makefile.PL
    > # Checking if your kit is complete...
    > # Looks good
    > # Writing Makefile for ExtTest
    > # ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
    > # ==> Please rerun the make command. <==
    > # false
    > # *** Error exit code 1
    > # ext-5097 being removed...

    These are bogus. I suspect this is a combination of several bugs:

    a) Makefile is not allowed to be of the same age as Makefile.PL;

    b) Test suite does not wait 3 sec between creating Makefile.PL and
    running Perl on it (some filesystems have 2sec granularity, +1sec
    of savety margin);

    Of these, only "a" is a real bug. "b" would be just a workaround
    against "a".

    Actually, maybe "a" is a feature too (since something might have
    edited/recreated Makefile.PL after a run of `perl Makefile.PL', and
    all this happened inside a filesystem timestamp granularity). One
    should decide... But one of "a" and "b" *must* be implemented for the
    test to work on quickier machines.

    Try looking for the string "Makefile out-of-date with respect to" in
    the source of lib/ExtUtils/* and check the test from < to <= (or visa
    versa ;-).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Dec 16, 2005