Consuming local web service - ok, remote web service -problem?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by dgleeson422111, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. Hi Guys

    Im trying to figure something out about web services. I created the
    simplest web service on my local machine to add two numbers.

    I can consume the service using a proxy but need to understand the
    details of HTTP POST operation.

    So using the code below in a web site from VS2005 all is fine on my
    local machine.

    CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

    <head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>
    <form action="http://localhost/AddService/Service.asmx/Add"
    method="POST">
    <input name="a"></input>
    <input name="b"></input>

    <input type="submit" value="Enter"> </input>
    </form>

    We get the following response and you can see an answer of 30 on the
    second line as the parameters given were 20 and 10.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <int xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">30</int>

    So now I have copied my service.asmx file to my web site on aspspider
    and I can see the service on http://aspspider.biz/DGleeson/Service.asmx

    All still OK!

    Now I modify my web site code above to use the (now) remote web
    service.
    changing the action line as below

    <form action="http://aspspider.biz/DGleeson/Service.asmx/Add"
    method="POST">

    Now I get the following web page error.

    Server Error in '/DGleeson' Application.

    Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/Add'.

    What are the differences now that the web service is on the aspspider
    host?

    Thanks for any responses.

    Regards

    Denis