Consuming Web Service on Shared Hosting Platform

Barrie Wilson

I have a really simple test app which consumes two public web services (one
stock quote and one Amazon books collection); it works just fine when
posted on my local servers but when I publish it to either of my two public
servers (shared hosting accounts), I get the .ASPX page ok but when I click
the button to access the web services I get nowhere; more specifically, I
get this message at the top of the stack:

"[SocketException (0x274c): A connection attempt failed because the
connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or
established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

ok, the easy advice is to call the hosting service and check their docs but
(a) they never know what's wrong, and (b) they don't have much in the way of
docs ... sure, I can change hosting providers but it's gonna be a real pain
so I'd like to avoid it ... if I can

My question is whether anyone might have an idea where the problem is, and
more generally, is it common to find this is a problem on a shared host
platform? If it is a common problem, are there any hosting services where
it's NOT a problem .. hopefully one that's on the low end of the pricing
scale; right now I just need to do some proof of concept work and have it
publicly accessible.

Thanks for any help ...

BW

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Your host may restrict outgoing ports. That is the first thing I think of.

Barrie Wilson

thanks, Peter, Cowboy ... I found a way to get around it using an
unpublished proxy maintained by the ISP ...

Peter Bromberg said:
Some "el-cheapo" web hosting companies (GoDaddy.com comes to mind)
restrict
things like outbound webrequests. Sound ludicrous on the face of it, but
that's what they do.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net