    them.

    In what case would I want to use a builder as opposed to controlling how I
    render a control inside of the render method?

    J.Marsch, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Hi Jeremy

    A control builder is a class that governs how a server control is parsed
    when it is used declaratively on an ASP.NET page.

    Based on my research and experience, I would like to share the following
    information with you.

    Control Builder Overview
    l/cpconwebformscontrolbuilderoverview.asp

    ControlBuilder Class
    frlrfSystemWebUIControlBuilderClassTopic.asp

    Custom Control Builder Sample
    l/cpconcreatingcustomcontrolbuilder.asp

    Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 2, 2003

  3. J.Marsch

    J.Marsch Guest

    Jacob:

    Thank you for the links, they are very informative. I am still have one
    question, though: In what circumstances would I want to choose to use a
    control builder, rather than just overriding a control's Render() method?
    Said another way, my question is now "Why?", rather than "How?".

    -- Jeremy

    J.Marsch, Oct 2, 2003
  4. J.Marsch

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    overriding Render does not correlate any way with using control builders.
    Control builders are used when control instances are created from markup
    (aspx files parsed) (control builder parses content that exists between tags
    of server control) i.e when aspx page is compiled.

    Rendering is a way to provide the markup control produces for the browser as
    a result of going through a web request. It is not tied to parsing and
    compiling a control ( or a page).

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    MCP, ASP.NET MVP

    "J.Marsch" <> wrote in message
    > Jacob:
    >
    > Thank you for the links, they are very informative. I am still have one
    > question, though: In what circumstances would I want to choose to use a
    > control builder, rather than just overriding a control's Render() method?
    > Said another way, my question is now "Why?", rather than "How?".
    >
    > -- Jeremy
    >

    > "Jacob Yang [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Jeremy
    > >
    > > A control builder is a class that governs how a server control is parsed
    > > when it is used declaratively on an ASP.NET page.
    > >
    > > Based on my research and experience, I would like to share the following
    > > information with you.
    > >
    > > Control Builder Overview

    > > l/cpconwebformscontrolbuilderoverview.asp
    > >
    > > ControlBuilder Class

    > > frlrfSystemWebUIControlBuilderClassTopic.asp
    > >
    > > Custom Control Builder Sample

    > > l/cpconcreatingcustomcontrolbuilder.asp
    > >
    > > Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern,

    please
    > > feel free to let me know.
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Jacob Yang
    > > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > > Get Secure! ¨C www.microsoft.com/security
    > > This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no

    rights.

    Teemu Keiski, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Hi Jeremy,

    Firstly, I want to thank Teemu's great help in this issue.

    In addition, with the ControlBuilder class, we can support our custom tag,
    for example <custom: MyCellVB¡­>.

    With Render function, we cannot implement this function.

    I hope it helps.

    Jacob Yang
    Best regards,
    Microsoft Online Partner Support