controlling media player component from c#

Rob Vermeulen

Hi folks,

Please forgive my ignorance but I need to know if it is possible to control
ActiveX components on my website from within my serverside C# code.
I'm quite an experienced s/w developer on a win32 base but I'm very new at
ASP stuff.

I've just created "MyFirstASP.NETWebpage" with a custom MediaPlayer control
from Steve Orr on it. Works fine.
It is only that on some of my previous projects I instantiated the WMP
ActiveX component and controlled it completely with Javascript. I found it a
pain, horrible to debug and it brings a mess into your well-organized source
code.

Now, with Steve Orr's custom thingy it appears I can control its basic
behavior from the server, but I am still not able to make it fast-forward,
rewind or any other thing that requires invoking a method from the
component. On the other hand, properties are easily set.

Now am I missing someting, overlooking it or do I need to stick to
controlling it using Javascript?

I'd appreciate a response!

Best regards,

Rob Vermeulen