controlling pins on lpt

eson

hi

i would like to make some software for steering devices through lpt port
therefore i need to know who to control pins on the lpt port and how to
gain direct access to them. Shortly speaking I need to be able to set
ones or zeros on the pins.

I would be glad if someone could help in finding proper functions to
obtain such a control or maybe some materials about it.

thank you
eson

Mark

hi

i would like to make some software for steering devices through lpt port
therefore i need to know who to control pins on the lpt port and how to
gain direct access to them. Shortly speaking I need to be able to set
ones or zeros on the pins.

I would be glad if someone could help in finding proper functions to
obtain such a control or maybe some materials about it.

I'm afraid you're in the wrong newsgroup. C++ specific issues is the
intent at comp.lang.c++

Mark

osmium

eson said:
i would like to make some software for steering devices through lpt port
therefore i need to know who to control pins on the lpt port and how to
gain direct access to them. Shortly speaking I need to be able to set
ones or zeros on the pins.

I would be glad if someone could help in finding proper functions to
obtain such a control or maybe some materials about it.

Try this:

http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

eson

Mark said:
I'm afraid you're in the wrong newsgroup. C++ specific issues is the
intent at comp.lang.c++

Mark

but i would like to do it through c++ program ...

JKop

eson posted:
hi

i would like to make some software for steering devices through lpt port
therefore i need to know who to control pins on the lpt port and how to
gain direct access to them. Shortly speaking I need to be able to set
ones or zeros on the pins.

I would be glad if someone could help in finding proper functions to
obtain such a control or maybe some materials about it.

thank you
eson

Depends on the CPU, the hardware, the OS.

For WinXP on an Intel Pentium Family PC, you want the
Win32API functions:

OpenFileEx
DeviceIoControl

-JKop

Ioannis Vranos

eson said:
hi

i would like to make some software for steering devices through lpt port
therefore i need to know who to control pins on the lpt port and how to
gain direct access to them. Shortly speaking I need to be able to set
ones or zeros on the pins.

I would be glad if someone could help in finding proper functions to
obtain such a control or maybe some materials about it.

thank you
eson

The topic of this newsgroup is ISO C++. Your subject is system-dependent
stuff so it is off topic here. You must find some API specific group,
for example if you are talking about how to do this in a Windows
environment, a Win32 specific group, or MFC, etc.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

Chris Gordon-Smith

eson said:
but i would like to do it through c++ program ...

Your question relates to a particular device and how to control it. It is
not about the C++ language. Your question, interesting though it is, is
therefore off topic for this newsgroup. I think the concensus on the
newsgroup is that discussion should be kept strictly within the bounds of
the topic as defined by the FAQ.

This may seem irritating, and my view is that sometimes people are too keen
to rule subjects off topic. However, I believe the rationale is that if we
start discussing topics like the lpt port, next we'll be discussing the
Windows API and other operating system specific issues, and before you know
it discussion of the C++ language itself will be completely swamped.