controlling the copying of images from a site

mantrid

Hello
Is there a way to prevent users copying a full size image from a web page.
Displaying the image with a smaller width and height only affects the image
as viewed, the actual full size image file is still downloaded. I know I can
get around it by having two versions of an image, the full size one and a
smaller on for display purposes. but is there a way around having to have
two images and use the full ssize one and stop it being copied or if copied
will only be a thumbnail?

thanks in advance

Travis Newbury

mantrid said:
Hello
Is there a way to prevent users copying a full size image from a web page.

Yes, don't put a full size image on the webpage.

(Actually, you can use Flash and dynamically load the image at run
time. The image is in the cache, but not in a user usable format.

But, they can always just take a screen shot and steal it that way so
it is best to assume you can't do it at all.

BKDotCom

well... your message doesn't make much sense..
But the answer is no.
I think the word you're looking for is "transfer", not copy.
If you don't want to send the full-sized image and resize it on the
client's end (bandwidth and aliasing issues), you'll need to transfer
separate thumbnails. Of course, the thumbnails can be generated on the
fly (and cached on your server). Then when the client requests the
full sized ver, send them the full sized version.

What's the issue?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Hello
Is there a way to prevent users copying

No. It is already on their computers, in the browser cache. There is
nothing you can do to anyone except an absolute n00b to keep them from
saving them elsewhere. Your efforts (such as the infamous no-right-click
script) only serve to annoy, and make you look like an amateur.
a full size image from a web page.
Displaying the image with a smaller width and height only affects the image
as viewed, the actual full size image file is still downloaded. I know I can
get around it by having two versions of an image, the full size one and a
smaller on for display purposes. but is there a way around having to have
two images and use the full ssize one and stop it being copied or if copied
will only be a thumbnail?

You should not use HTML width and height to resize images. First, you
create long download times. Second, browsers do not gracefully resize
images.

Use two images, a thumbnail perhaps leading to a link to the full-sized
image. Consider putting a watermark on the full-size version.

mantrid

looks like its two images then.
Another question.
is it possible to change the image size during upload to server to make the
full size image to a thumbnail for storage?
thanks

dorayme

"mantrid said:
Is there a way to prevent users copying a full size image from a web page.

I want a buck for every time someone asks this question... but
I'd settle for a cent...

Jerry Stuckle

dorayme said:
I want a buck for every time someone asks this question... but
I'd settle for a cent...

What? A buck? You mean you want to be richer than Bill Gates?

Think of all the taxes you would have to pay! :)

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

mbstevens

Jerry said:
What? A buck? You mean you want to be richer than Bill Gates?

Think of all the taxes you would have to pay! :)
You'd think that the question would be "how do I make images good enough
that anyone would *want* to copy them?"

dorayme

Jerry Stuckle said:
What? A buck? You mean you want to be richer than Bill Gates?

Think of all the taxes you would have to pay! :)

....as a friend of mine likes to say, I like paying tax, the more
I pay, the more money I am earning...

dorayme

mbstevens said:
You'd think that the question would be "how do I make images good enough
that anyone would *want* to copy them?"

or, indeed, how can I know when they do so I can congratulate
them on their good taste?

Geoff Berrow

looks like its two images then.
Another question.
is it possible to change the image size during upload to server to make the
full size image to a thumbnail for storage?

Yep.

Or you can do it when the image is fetched for the first time.

Nico Schuyt

mantrid said:
Is there a way to prevent users copying a full size image from a web
page. '

No guarantee, but you can make it difficult for most of them.
is there a way around having to have two images and use the full
ssize one and stop it being copied or if copied will only be a
thumbnail?

My knowledge of Javascript is limited, but have a look in IE6 at
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/thumb_large.htm

And, yes, I know the image is in the cache, but 99.9% of your visitors don't
know what 'cache' is, let alone they can find a file there :)

Better however: Prevent Google to index the pictures and place a watermark
on the large image

mantrid

http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

Better however: Prevent Google to index the pictures and place a watermark
on the large image

thanks Nico
do you have a link that shows how to do the latter?

ian