convert function

shank

I'm getting the following error...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e07'
Disallowed implicit conversion from data type varchar to data type money,
table 'wsOrders', column 'ShippingCost'. Use the CONVERT function to run
this query.

What I gather is that I'm trying to insert a varchar into a money field.
That is not the case however. Both fields are money. I'm going from one SQL
table on serverA to an identical table on SQL serverB.

My variable is setup like...
<% io_ShippingCost = (rsOrders.Fields.Item("ShippingCost").Value) %>

My insert statement is...
<%
Dim DataConn
Set DataConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
DataConn.Open MM_KasKSS_STRING
SQL = "INSERT INTO wsOrders (ShippingCost) "
SQL = SQL & "Values ('" & io_ShippingCost & "')"
DataConn.Execute(SQL)
%>

What am I doing wrong?
Does anyone have examples of the CONVERT function?
thanks!

Bob Barrows

shank said:
I'm getting the following error...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e07'
Disallowed implicit conversion from data type varchar to data type
money, table 'wsOrders', column 'ShippingCost'. Use the CONVERT
function to run this query.
SQL = SQL & "Values ('" & io_ShippingCost & "')"
DataConn.Execute(SQL)
%>

What am I doing wrong?
thanks!

What you are doing wrong is using string delimiters around that numeric
value. Response.Write that SQL variable and verify that the resulting
statement will run in query analyzer before attempting to run it from asp.

The line should be:
SQL = SQL & "Values (" & io_ShippingCost & ")"
Does anyone have examples of the CONVERT function?
Not needed in this case, but have you looked in Books Online (BOL)? It
should be installed on your pc - look in the SQL Server program group in
your Windows Start menu.

Bob Barrows