Convert stored mysql DateTime of UTC datetime stamp into another timezone

Justin Voelker

Hello everyone:
I have seen posts like this one a couple times looking through this
group but I have yet to find a simple, elegant answer and I know there
must be one. I have a mysql database that has a datetime field in the
format Y-m-d H:i:s for the UTC time of a given post. If I am in the
eastern timezone I am currently at -5 hours from UTC so when I make my
post at 1:00pm eastern time, the time I see dispalyed on the page is
6:00pm because it is 6:00pm UTC. How can I take that UTC datetime
stamp and convert it to the correct datetime given a specific php
timezone such as America/New_York? I know there must be a simple way
to do this I just haven't been searching the right words or
something. Please help! Thank you!!!

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Justin Voelker wrote in comp.lang.*javascript*:
[...] I have a mysql database that has a datetime field in the
format Y-m-d H:i:s for the UTC time of a given post. If I am in the
eastern timezone I am currently at -5 hours from UTC so when I make my
post at 1:00pm eastern time, the time I see dispalyed on the page is
6:00pm because it is 6:00pm UTC. How can I take that UTC datetime
stamp and convert it to the correct datetime given a specific php ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
timezone such as America/New_York
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Use PHP code. (That was easy!)

PointedEars

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <4fd37614-4479-4089-861c-a22a5f0825f5@33
g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:40:09, Justin Voelker
I have seen posts like this one a couple times looking through this
group but I have yet to find a simple, elegant answer and I know there
must be one. I have a mysql database that has a datetime field in the
format Y-m-d H:i:s for the UTC time of a given post. If I am in the
eastern timezone I am currently at -5 hours from UTC so when I make my
post at 1:00pm eastern time, the time I see dispalyed on the page is
6:00pm because it is 6:00pm UTC. How can I take that UTC datetime
stamp and convert it to the correct datetime given a specific php
timezone such as America/New_York? I know there must be a simple way
to do this I just haven't been searching the right words or
something. Please help! Thank you!!!

I am assuming that you want a JavaScript answer, since otherwise you
should not be asking in a JavaScript group.

I suppose you are reading a string S of the form "Y/M/D h:m:s" with new
Date(S), or the individual numbers with new Date(Y, M, D, h, m, s); or
that toy are displaying a string directly from PHP.

In the first case, use S + " UTC" or S + " GMT".

In the second case, use new Date(Date.UTC(Y, M, D, h, m, s)) .

In the third case, be guided by the answer for the first case.

See <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-dates.htm>.

Note that the Eastern timezone is not necessarily -5 hours from UTC; it
can be about ten hours from UTC.