converting a character array to a float (newbie)

Jim Bancroft

Thanks for all your help, but I think I'll take this to another newsgroup.
I can't keep up with the formatting requirements ("quote this-- but not like
that") here. That's cool, maybe the alt groups are more forgiving about
replying at the start of a message and other formatting preferences. It's
never been a problem on the Microsoft NGs I've been to.

As for telling off CBFalconer I don't believe I said anything too untoward?
At least nothing worse than his reply. My post above his was a simple
observation that I was having trouble, that's all. I wasn't asking anyone
to read my mind, just venting mild frustration, which for some reason he
took in a strange way.

Thanks again.

CBFalconer

Jim said:
Thanks for all your help, but I think I'll take this to another
newsgroup. I can't keep up with the formatting requirements
("quote this-- but not like that") here. That's cool, maybe the
alt groups are more forgiving about replying at the start of a
message and other formatting preferences. It's never been a
problem on the Microsoft NGs I've been to.

Well, Microsoft is famous for fouling standards. You have been
given suitable references to read several times, and have
deliberately chosen to ignore them. The fact is that top-posting
is never acceptable to all, but proper bottom posting is.
Similarly the need for adequate quotations is driven by the nature
of the medium. It takes a minimum of effort to follow these
conventions and make things easy for your readers. If you are not
willing to do so, why should you expect any help from those you
annoy?

You don't have to keep up with details - just bear in mind the
medium you are using.

goose

Jim said:
Thanks for all your help, but I think I'll take this to another newsgroup.
I can't keep up with the formatting requirements ("quote this-- but not like
that") here. That's cool, maybe the alt groups are more forgiving about
replying at the start of a message and other formatting preferences. It's
never been a problem on the Microsoft NGs I've been to.

Oh, stop being such an emotional drama queen! There are
only 2 formatting rules:
1. Do not snip the attributions.
2. Put your responses below the text that you are
responding to.

If you would use a non-microsoft product to post, then
it would default you to the sane formatting. Look at your
post now - I don't know who you are replying to (cos you
snipped the attributions) nor can I see what exactly
it is you are replying to (cos you snipped all the
text itself!).

I think perhaps you are not aware that usenet protocols
do not guarantee that the posts are delivered in order,
so my site does not have the post you are replying to.

IOW, your complaint (this post) I can read, but I have
no idea who or what the complaint is directed at.
As for telling off CBFalconer I don't believe I said anything too untoward?
At least nothing worse than his reply. My post above his was a simple
observation that I was having trouble, that's all. I wasn't asking anyone
to read my mind, just venting mild frustration, which for some reason he
took in a strange way.

That's funny; Usually CBF (or any of the other regs) try to be
*very helpful* by asking that you follow the 2 simple rules
above. If you are having trouble following the two rules
above, then perhaps you would be better off in a web-forum
with the spam-bots, the kiddies and the clueless.
Thanks again.

Oh, go on, then.

jmcgill

Jim said:
Thanks for all your help, but I think I'll take this to another newsgroup.
I can't keep up with the formatting requirements ("quote this-- but not like
that") here.

"Don't top post" and "quote for context" are going to be common
expectations in any group.
That's cool, maybe the alt groups are more forgiving about
replying at the start of a message and other formatting preferences.

You're just going to be ignored if you top-post -- in programming
forums, in particular, you are going to be ignored by the people who
would be most willing and able to help you.

As for telling off CBFalconer I don't believe I said anything too untoward?

Didn't suggest you did. I'm merely pointing out that it's strongly in
your interest to try to be polite, especially to certain kinds of
people, especially when you need their help.

I don't care about any of that though. I want to see the raw data from
your input stream, before it goes through any conversion. I want to
know the actual numeric value you put on the stream, and the actual
bytes that come out the other side. There are a *lot* of things that
can come out of %f as "0.000000"